new ipods?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by AudiGuy, Dec 13, 2005.

1. AudiGuy macrumors regular

im thinking about getting a nano but i heard and seen that they scratch very easily. and the battery life is not as good. does anyone know when apple is going to update the nanos?

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i doubt apple will update the nano's just yet - maybe around april time

scratches are a problem but with proper care and a case it will be fine

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

They were just announced 2 months (September 10-ish?) and you are contemplating waiting for an update? Some people are never satisfied. :(

5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I also was not impressed by the nano, but here is the issue about waiting. With the recent direction Apple has been going in, who knows if the next ones will have the thickness of three sheets of paper and be the size of a book of matches?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Or have lines on the screen... :p

7. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Inquiring minds will have to patiently wait and see.

8. BlueT macrumors member

I agree about being disappointed with the Nano. 4GB is way too small to be worth $250 at this point, especially given that the Mini was itself tiny and had a bigger capacity. I have a 4G 20GB that I would've sold if the Nano was 8GB. As it stands, I saved myself a heap of money.

9. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

It's not oriced at $250 for the capacity (duh), it's priced at $250 for the design.

10. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Personally if you can live without it I would wait on the nano until they have more space, but that is me. The nano is great, I use that much more than my normal iPod because of it's smallness...

If you are worried about the scratches just buy an invisible shield, I have it one on my regular iPod, it is a great investment and truly protects the iPod from the daily pocket scratches

11. flat6 macrumors regular

The only thing keeping me from buying a Nano is the storage capacity. I've got 1749 songs @ 7.1 GB, so I'm waiting until a 8 GB Nano comes out.

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I don't consider $250 too much for a player based on 4gb of flash memory. Just the memory costs a ton, and then theres the LCD and Case, not to mention other little parts.

13. Alasta macrumors regular

Alasta

But surely your music collection will expand over the life of your iPod?

If you want to get all of your music onto an iPod, then you need to choose an iPod which has much higher capacity than the size of your music collection. The Nano is not intended to host your entire music collection but, rather, a large chunk of it.

14. flat6 macrumors regular

I've actually been whittling down much of my music, went from 4500 to 1750 songs. Realized that a lot of the music I had (from my family's CDs, for example) I had just imported for the hell of getting a high number of songs.

Far too often I'd put it on shuffle and it would just be next-next-next-... So now I'm now trying to keep the ones I really like, and that's a relatively small number of songs.

Besides, if I expand my collection to add 2000 more songs at $1 a pop, that means $2000 dollars spent on music! Buying a new iPod with even more storage space would be peanuts compared to that.

15. Labi macrumors regular

So what if Nano was announced just 2 months ago? Are you saying that we should keep our mouths shut even if Nano has serious issues that need to be updated? If you're satisfied that doesn't mean that everybody has to be satisfied. Even after just 2 months of the announcement.

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm saying that if there were serious issues, apple would have addressed them by now. Because they haven't we must assume that apple sees no serious issues. So we will not see any updates for a while. I never said you had to keep you mouth shut. You can discuss anything you want. If you are willing to wait indefinitely for updates because you don't like the current nano, then I have have no problem with that. But you are foolish if you are waiting to purchase a nano because you think updates are right around the corner.

17. AudiGuy thread starter macrumors regular

the only reason i want a nano is because i dropped my iriver really hard last week. 2 yrs of issue free operation. i was going to get another iriver but they are way more expensive than ipods with the same storage space. 4g on the nano is fine with me, its the scratches and sync issues that i hear about that is holding me back. besides i heard a rumor that apple was going to update the ipods shells so they wont scratch as easy. but thats just a rumor. i will be really pissed if i buy one now and a newer one comes out in 2-3 months.

18. Labi macrumors regular

I meant "keep our mouths shut" meaning that we shouldn't ask for updates. Not that we shouldn't discuss it here.

The thing is that Apple doesn't care much about the issues reported by iPod user both serious and less serious or not serious at all, allthough the fact that nano scratches easily is a very serious issue. The battery life too. And the most serious issue which was claimed for quite some time now by iPod users is gapless playback. Must we assume that Apple sees it as a not serious one just because they haven't addresed it? Come on.

19. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Yeah. Do you really think that if Apple (and I said Apple, not you the customer) believed a problem was serious, they wouldn't have addressed it by now? I find that hard to believe especially when complaints about the Nano started a while ago.

20. Labi macrumors regular

You are either hypnotised or an Apple employee. Just tell me that gapless playback isn't a serious issue and I'll give up. Actualy, don't bother. I give up already.

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Some people are experiencing it, but it seems like a rare problem. They is why it isn't serious. If you have an affected iPod, then it is serious for you, but not serious when you consider all iPods.