New iPods...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aussie_geek, Jul 14, 2004.

1. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

I am in the process of deciding when to buy an iPod. Looking at the buyers guide, it seems that there maybe some new models comming out soon.

Does anyone have any advice or links to some topics on the possible release of a new product? I am hoping that there will be a colour screen in the new ones..

aussie_geek

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i think there will be a colour screen because there competitors are coming out with things that have colour screens but no tv out...i alsol think that they will have better support with airport express and airtunes...maybe some kind of signal turning it into a remote...ie choose what song you want to play from the ipod... that sends a signal to the pc to play it then plays on you stereo... just a thought...never know though...

i would think with the outstanding and ground breaking sales of ipods and itunes music store then they might have put alot of efffort into it....

what would yoou guys like to see??

3. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

it would be unbelievably cool to be able to send airtunes straight from the ipod, but i'm not sure how much space there is inside an ipod to spare - and, it would need an antenna, too.

but anyway, that'd be cool.

i also suspect that whenever the next generation of regular ipods will come, they will look like mini ipods, just a little bigger in size. most importantly, i think they will inherit the mini wheel and get rid of the stupid four buttons between touch wheel and display. those are UGLY !!!

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I don't expect new iPods till the Cram and Jam EDU rebate ends 9/25/2004.

Easy money says that the line up later this year will be 20/40/60.

There is talk about using a mini iPod style wheel. Other than that, all else is up in the air.

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Well said!
    1. Promotions get rid of existing stock so that new models can be rolled out.
    2. Toshiba goofed when it leaked that Apple would be using the new 60GB drives. (Apple could go 30/40/60 too)
    3. As for updated features, I think Airtunes capability would be great, but it is probably one more revision away. You have to jam wifi inside an ipod without making it bigger or taxing the battery any more. Color may very well happen, not because it's useful, but because others are doing it. If this happens, I imagine that there will still be a setting for B/W to conserve battery life.

One thing that has been twirling around in my mind is the combination of iPod/iSight. Maybe I'll go post a thread so that this conversation stays on track. :rolleyes: