New iSight camera with Tiger?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chelseasian, Apr 5, 2005.

1. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

Hi!

I am debating about getting an iSight cam, but I am wondering if I should wait till Tiger is out and see if there will be improvements made on it?

Or should I just go for it now?

Hmmmm...

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I would buy now. The isights were updated only a few weeks ago and you won't need a new one to take benefit from ichat with H.264.

3. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

They were updated a few weeks ago? I missed that.

What was updated about them?

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I recall they just removed a clip on type or two for the older LCDs.

Personally I am waiting. It might be 8 months still but I think iSight will get an upgrade to lever off the "year of HD" thingy. I suspect a CCD size increase and possibly a wide angle lense coupled with a clever digital zoom...and possibly an iPod attachement!
    All speculation mind you. ;)

5. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I think the next iSight will have either Firewire or USB 2 connectivity (or both). The iPod is now USB 2 (standard, but still works with firewire). I know that the iSight has had problems when there was an iPod connected via firewire cable. I hope Apple fixes that problem soon. Have they already?

6. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I've had an iSight and iPod together for nearly two years, and I've never had any kind of problem.

7. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

You're pretty lucky. Apple has documented the problem after many complaints. I know that there was a firmware update last year so that might have fixed the problem.

8. ct77 macrumors member

Not that I know of. I steadfastly avoid using my Firewire hard drive or my iPod when my iSight is plugged in. Very bad things happen to the data on the Firewire hard drive and iPod, otherwise. :(

9. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Thinksecret mentioned an existence of an impending fourth revision to the iSight family right after the third was let out, yet nothing has been said of it since. Take what you want from the information.

10. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Isn't Apple still on the 1st iSight? I don't recall Apple ever changing the iSight since it was released. If there were revisions, what was changed?

11. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Revision B included the magnetic mount for the new displays/iMac
    Revision C no longer includes the mount for the old displays

Not exactly very exciting stuff.

12. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Adding and taking away mounts doesn't count as a revision. A revision is to the iSight itself.

13. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

I was merely using the terminology used in the ThinkSecret article. What would one call the removal and addition of mounts then, considering they altered the revision letter?
    It has also been said, but not officially documented, that the most recent iSight (RevC) includes a better microphone.

14. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

isight video

sorry guys if this isnt appropriate here.

Does the isight work wiv any webcam enabled program on the mac for instant messaging or just ichat?? (such as msn messenger, for video conferencing or simple webcam viewing!!)

Ta guys!!

15. rock6079 macrumors 6502

same here

16. rock6079 macrumors 6502

msn messenger for the mac does not have web cam capabiliteis.. and you cannot use isight with VPC for messenger as far as i know (if im wrong please let me know as i would like to use it for that purpose also)...

anywase it will work with most any other application which allows or accepts a web cam video feed for example, yahoo instant messenger, imovie, gcam (surveillance software) etc.. search versiontracker.com for more apps to use with it

17. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Many thanks.

Very helpful.

I hope that microsoft release a video version soon.
    OO, if the isight does work with VPC for messenger (although as you say it prbs doesnt!) I wonder if it will work straight for a PC!!...HA!!...Nice thought tho eh?!!! Wouldn't feel right, a burst of quality may cause a Windows crash!! :p