New iSight with new Codec?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aswitcher, Jan 19, 2005.

1. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

So I am thinking about getting an iSight in the next month or two BUT I suspect that with the new Codec 264 iirc, we might see a second generation iSight...maybe even an HD one...? What do people think?

2. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

No, the iSight doesnt do any video encoding it sends raw data to the mac and it does all the video encoding.

3. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

So you could use it to record HD then?

4. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

i'm no expert, but i would highly doubt that you could record HD video with an iSight. you'd need a special camcorder, like the Sony one on stage at Macworld.

as for iSight updates, i've also been holding out. it always seems when i'm ready to make a purchase, i decide to go with something different (and perhaps more useful in the short-term...iPod shuffles and AirPort Expresses). nevertheless, i don't think that they'll be any updates soon, and i just might have to go out and splurge on two of them :)

5. logical001 macrumors newbie

As stated, the iSight camera just sends raw data at Firewire 400 to the Mac.

What they will be doing in Tiger is changing the codec to the super efficient HD based when Tiger comes out.

They are very good by the way. Quality is much better than anything on a PC, especially the audio.

6. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

I guess it comes down to the actual chip and capture resolution on the iSight then...

7. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

The new codec will just allow for even smoother video conferencing with other people. If you ever just look at the video from the iSight on your own computer, it is very smooth and crisp. It will probably get much closer to this when Tiger and the new iChat are released.
    I doubt they will update the iSight for a while, it is still better then anything else out there.

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

my bet is it'll be a firmware update if anything.

it's good enough already. boosting the resolution of the CCD wouldn't be a bad idea, maybe to megapixel.

10. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

I suppose thats what I am wondeirng. If its only a 1/4 of a megapixel now then given camera phone developments I am hoping that they can improve its resolution for little change in price. Bigger CCD means better low light and better resolution, possibly a wide angle option as well for group conferencing.

But what occurs to me is if they put it too ~2 megapixels (1920x1080) they would have an HD capable iSight which could work really well with their new codec and leap them well ahead of the competition. 2005 is the year of HD afterall.

11. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

HD

HD video conferencing? Why? For the same PQ you'll need 6 times (2 megapixels) the bandwidth that the current iSight would use. Being able to support more than 2 parties in a conference seems more of a priority, to me.

12. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

If you really wanted to do HD video conferencing, you could just write your own app that uses quicktime to send video using any codec you wanted to (CPU power allowing) at any resolution (bandwidth allowing).

13. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

In 10 years everyone will be using HD level video conferencing...or better. If we can do it now, then why not if you have the bandwidth.

As to why, better images make for a better experience.

14. atomiton macrumors regular

HD V-Conf is hardly a priority. Better to get a reliable 45-50fps 640-480 connection.

just think, you'll have to spend half an hour in the bathroom before making a phone call. ;)

15. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

So will the new codec likely advance the frame rate given its more effecient use of bandwidth?