New iSight?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by StarbucksSam, May 4, 2005.

1. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I just sold my old iSight because I was not expecting to get a computer that can handle it so well until later this year... it was the equivalent to pawning it... i sold it and then I figured I'd get a new one when I could afford it in August because i wanted new sunglasses.

Oops. LOL. Well now I want one for my Powerbook. BUT... I am wondering if they'll update them. I don't need it for a WHILE. Therefore, I don't mind holding off if it makes sense.

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

search the forums... the date is out there...

3. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I just searched and found nothing relevant. Can someone please clue me in?

4. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Me too, I haven't read anything about a iSight update. Would like to.

5. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

They updated them earlier this year, I think it was February or something. I bought mine a few weeks ago at the edu price, its a thing of beauty. Technological art.

6. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, with all apologies to SuperBovine, and for being super super ultra really very dense, I read the thread and I still don't get it. So in March, there was a new part number, with delivery starting two weeks from the beginning of March? Is there anything actually different about this part number than the previous one? The iSight changed P/N's once already, just so that the mount could change to accommodate the new ACDs. AFAICS, there's no information about whether/when/if a substantive update to the iSight is due.

9. Bear macrumors G3

They removed a mount from the kit. Similiar ti the previous change which was to add a mount to the kit.

Apple did release a firmware update for the iSight which improved a few things in it. I'm not sure if the iSight really needs revisions. Just a lower price.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehe....nice. Thanks, Bear! :)

11. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you buy it now, will you use it now? Or do you really literally mean that there is a time in the near future when you will use it heavily, but it will sit in a box until then? If the former, why not? 'Sides ....think of it this way: even if they are upgraded substantially, you might not get a lot of benefit from it unless all the people you iChat AV with are also using the new one. Is *that* going to happen?

13. ChoMomma macrumors 6502

ChoMomma

StarbucksSam....

:eek: Feeling kinda bad now man :eek:

But I'm enjoying the iSight too much to feel really bad :D

Oh and just to sweeten my super busy overloaded spring.. I won a Powerbook at the Apple Store in the Arden Fair mall here in Sacramento, Ca. :D :D

So the "new" iSight is definitely coming in handy.

Thanks again :D

14. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

The iSights are majorly overpriced- i am waiting till after WWDC for perhaps a second gen one or a price drop. You can get the same specs web cam for as little as £15-25, yet Apple put it in a sexy enclosure and charge £100. Can you imagine their profit margins??

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Name some good alternatives out there, please? I have never done research on webcams and don't know what is good and what isn't. All I have ever used is the Logitech one, but I was always under the illusion/delusion that the iSight was actually better than the competition by far, and now you're saying it isn't. :eek:

16. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Specification wise the isight has the same technology as other cameras that sell for far less. All Apple have done is put it in a sexy shell and has a mount kit for Macs. Being an Apple owner, i don't mind at all paying the premium for quality and OSX but the iSight is really taking the piss with its £100 price tag. £60 is a fair price for it.

17. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Failing a significant price drop they should start selling the iSight in special bundles - 2 for £150 say. I love the AV capabilities of iChat but not enough people have iSights.

18. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, I am expecting a price drop sometime. I wonder of the year of HD will see an improved iSight at WWDC - bigger CCD, zoom wide angle etc...

Maybe they will have a Pro and an i version, dropping the current "i" version in price

19. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Now if Steve brought out a high def iSight camera selling at £100, that would sell very well!! haha. Seriously though a few improvements wouldn't go a miss, if no new Powerbooks are introduced at WWDC it looks like Steve will bring a variety of accessory upgrades, so here is hoping for a iSight 2nd generation.
    I want to do video chats with my family in Holland and around the country, but i am definately waiting till after WWDC till i buy an iSight - be it a new one or a big price drop. I am not gonna tell Apple that they can continue rip people off with the iSights by buying an iSight at £99.