New iSights are shipping

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thimk, Oct 31, 2006.

1. thimk macrumors newbie

I just got an email informing me that the iSight I ordered has shipped and will be arriving on Nov. 2. I guess the new iPod shuffles are not the only thing new arriving on Nov 2.
    Product number listed is M8817LL/C if that can be decyphered by others that know more than I do about rev and such.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Probably just one that's EU compliant.

3. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Interesting the Apple Canadastore has gone from 5-7days, to 7-10 business days. Still no update to the spec's... I suspect this really is just going to be a material change to meet EU restrictions and not a design update. Shame really, still a little too pricy for me.

4. danidoll521 macrumors regular

Does anyone know why Apple's iSight is so pricy, especially compared to many third party options? I have always wondered by it's so expesive compared to many others.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That's been the number for the US iSight for 1-2 years.

6. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

I´ve tried to find the iSight on Apple Store UK. There´s no "Buy Now" button on the iSight page, either…

Never mind, if I´ve gone blind I won´t need it.

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Nope, your eyesight is still perfect, nothing back on the UK Store yet. Hope they reduce the price, its a fortune but I want one so bad...

8. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

couldn't find the iSight in the German nor the UK store.

still waiting for an iSight in Europe.

9. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

No iSights on any EU store.

Until Apple announce a new iSight or Airport BS, nothing will be shown.

10. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Because they work really great and seemlessly, and they look good. Just like most Apple products.
    First time I used one I thought it was a joke, I just plugged it in and iChat oppened and the iSight worked!
    I had been trying to get webcams on PCs to work before...

11. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Although I do fully agree and understand, I still don't think it quite justifys such a large price tag, slightly more expensive, yes, its Apple. However, £100 for a webcam is mad.

12. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

It's pretty sad (the price), but the image quality is great! I've taken pictures with even the built in iSight... in the right conditions, it can be confused for a digital camera!

13. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Oh yeah, while not trying to disagree (Tho I aint actually used one) if you look at the Digital Cameras you can get these days for £100 you can get 5+ Megapixels for under £100. Though not really the same, I think it just shows what you can do with £100 now-a-days. I know when the iSight first came out it was damn good value for what you were getting, but that was a year or two back now and its just basically outdated, could do with a refresh. I wouldn't mind paying £100 for something that just offered that little more than 3rd party webcams. I know you get Apples design and its 'just workyness' but that doesnt cut it for me considering your paying £50+ more.

14. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

i think apple should lower the price a bit on the isights, especially now that they're built in to most of their computers now. i've done a couple video chats with my parents since i went to college and i think, and they do too, that the image quality is much much better. maybe it's the resolution because mine is twice as high as theirs? i dont know.

15. danidoll521 macrumors regular

The iSight is great...i use one all the time. However, I don't think the high price tag is justified, despite it being Apple. I still feel they should lower the price a bit...its like some have said, you can get a descent digital camera for the price of an Apple iSight these days.

16. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

So has anyone received their 'new' iSight yet?

Just wanted some confirmation as to whether it's the same design/spec.

17. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

When comparing iSight+Mac to 3rd Party Cam + Mac, you can't compare iSight +Mac to3rd Party cam +PC! I agree, getting webcams to work with PC is a PITA compared to the iSight and mac, but that's the PC's fault, not the camera. A 3rd party camera will work 98% as seamlessly and perfectly with the Mac because it's a mac.

If apple came out with a digital camera, It would work flawlessly with the Mac. However, my Kodak still works flawlessly with the mac. No drivers, no software. Just plug it in and bam. iPhoto opens and imports. Using my Kodak with a PC on the other hand...gross.

In short: Don't blame the 3rd party camera, blame the PC. The high price tag is not justified b/c most 3rd party webcams will work flawlessly with your mac just as the iSight does.

18. hotboiled macrumors member

they are pricy but they work perfect, video and sound
    i sit in the livingroom and chat isight-mac-flattv < 5m > sofa
    no problemo