NEW!!! Issues installing Windows 7 on Mac Pro 1,1!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by COTheProducer, Sep 9, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 9, 2010
    Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance for reading to this and doing anything you can to help me out!! I just bought an older MP 1,1 which has been working out amazing and i love it! The only problem is that I am having trouble installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit or 32bit. I have read through all the forums on here regarding this and I am experiencing a completely different problem then all the other people that own a MP 1,1.

I am able to install either the 32bit or 64bit of Windows 7 and then when I get finished with the entire install and it says "Windows is starting for the first time" it asks a few network questions and then pauses for a few seconds and says something like "Windows could not be installed, please re-start the installation" and then reboots. So I think the installation is done and everything but then when my computer reboots i see the screen "Please press any button to boot from the CD/DVD....." I don't press anything because I don't want it to boot into the CD again, but it freezes after the last (.....) and doesn't boot into Windows. So i tried restarting the computer and holding the Option key and booting from the actual Windows partition but then it just sits at a black empty screen until i reboot it again.

Can anyone help with this??? I have tried installing the 32bit and 64bit versions and neither one works. I know that Apple doesn't support Windows 7 on the MP 1,1 but i have read all over the internet where other people have done it! Any help would be much appreciated! Sorry for the lengthy post but i wanted to include all the details. Thanks again!!!!
  2. macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2010
    SW Virginia
    Are you using Bootcamp, Parallels or what? To the best of my knowledge you need some type of virtualization. I am using Parallels 5 and could update from XP to Windows 7, but do not need to.
  3. macrumors member

Apr 28, 2010
    Apple supports Windows 7 32 bit on Mac Pro 1,1, FYI. Don't know the answer to your question though, I had no major issues installing it on my 1,1. Actually I had one issue, it wouldn't install to a bootcamp partition on my SSD, I had to install it to a partition on a hard disk, and then copy it to the SSD (using winclone). Maybe try a different drive?
  4. macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2008
    Both of the above comments are wrong. You don't need virtualization, and the Apple *does not* support Windows 7 on Mac Pro 1,1.

You can install it, but I haven't done so since the pre-release Windows 7 RC - for that one the magic bullet appeared to be temporarily removing the main hard drive (the one containing your Mac OS X install) during the Windows install process - it caused some kind of issue with the installer. I have no idea if this has changed with the retail version though - I bought a PC instead and have it next to my Mac.
  5. macrumors 601

Jul 20, 2006
    Mannheim, Germany
    I had Windows 7 on my now sold 1,1 Mac Pro. I used the 64bit version of Bootcamp, dedicated a hard drive to windows and then used the Bootcamp wizard to install Windows 7. Everything worked great apart from power management. I installed the Ultimate Edition 64bit.