new iTrip

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by plutnicki, Nov 25, 2003.

1. plutnicki macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2003
    Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone around here has gotten and had issues with the new iTrip for the 3G iPod. I just got mine from Griffen, and all I get out of it is a high pitched squeal. I've tried different stations, the iTrip seems to program properly, but the squeal is all I hear. When I power off the Pod and the Trip, the squeal stops, so I think it's safe to assume it's coming from the same place...

Any thoughts? I've not heard back from Griffin yet.

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    Hopefully these are better than the originals. A friend of mine got the original iTrip for a 10GB iPod and his was broken from the start. They replaced it and it doesn't work either. And now they won't replace it again.

Good luck.
  3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    I have the first generation iTrip and had some problems with it when I first got it. I corrected it by erasing the iPod, and then installing the itrip software that came with the iTrip on iTunes before reupdating my iPod. Has worked fine since. But I did not have any squealing, it just was getting poor reception. Don't know if I was just "lucky" or if this might really help.
  4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

I've had one about two weeks. Other than it sounding like - well, the radio - I had it up and running in about two minutes.

One important thing: Make sure it's seated well, which isn't too hard to determine - it has a rather satisfying 'click'. But I have the InCase iPod case and it's little top-strap will not let the iTrip seat all the way and I would get some silly noises in the right channel as a result.
  5. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    I have it and love it. MUCH better sound quality in my car and home than the cassette adapter i was using.
  6. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2002
    Make sure you don't have the volume jacked up. If you go past about 80 percent you start to get serious distortion.
  7. dmf macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2004

i just bought one last night.
    I also get nothing but a high pitched squeel out of mine.
    When I first got it, i tried frequencies at around 106 and it wouldn't do anything. I waited for like 5 mintues too. still nothing.
    Then I tried 88.1 89.3 91.3 93.3 and all I get are high pitched tones out of it.
    I have an ipod mini.
  8. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    The iTrip will only deliver frequencies between 50Hz - 15Khz. A tape adapter can carry 50Hz - 20Khz, so I doubt the iTrip is getting you that extra detail. Also, the human ear can pickup signals between 20Hz - 20Khz, so it is not beyond the ear to pickup these extra signals.

Is your cassette adapter and/or tape drive old? My iPod sounds great through my casette adapter.
  9. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    Tape deck is fairly new car is just over 3 years old. Tape adapter is about that old also.
  10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    I got one of these about a week ago and was not able to make it work till I carefully read the instructions on the web (the instruction book I got was for the previous generation with the blue LED on it).

To set the station make sure you hit pause on the iPod AS SOON as the red led on the iTrip starts flashing quickly. It will flash quickly for about 3-5 seconds then you will get 3 long flashes which confirm the change.
  11. Rick Friele macrumors member

Jan 6, 2004
    Henderson, NV
  12. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    Ahhh yes... I recall the days when tapes started to wear out and people sounded like they were going under water. I miss those days.. *SMACK* I must have had a nightmare..