New iTunes 4.7 feature MIA?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by williamsonrg, Oct 26, 2004.

1. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

I noticed that the Apple website lists "Artist Alerts" as a new feature in iTunes 4.7. This intrigues me, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in iTunes or on the iTMS. I tried the iTunes help, but that didn't seem to work. Has anybody else found it?

2. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

I finally answered my own question. If you go to an album in iTMS, there is now a link that says "Artist Alert" It's right above the "Tell a Friend" button. It's so simple, that I overlooked.

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I'm just wondering why the new software isn't in my softeware update?

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I wonder also why QT 6.5.2 is required but the newest I can find is 6.5.1.

5. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

that has happened before! i remember when 4.6 came out with that new drm technology....they released it before good ol' quicktime was!

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ditto.

Attached Files:

8. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on a PC (trust me, I'm not happy about it), so I don't know about Software Update specifically, but I know iTunes didn't prompt me to download until late in the day. Maybe they don't "push" it out right away, since they know all the hardcore fans will go to the site and download it immediately anyway. Just a thought.

9. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Yes, the updated QT (6.5.2) is a manual download [at least for now].

10. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Can anyone account for this?

An interesting warning I got when I started up iTunes 4.7 which I never had before. It tells me that my firewall (which is the standard OS X firewall) will prevent remote control of AirTunes. It was my impression that, to this point, I haven't had remote control of Airtunes - but I want it bad! This could be the sweetest bit of the whole thing.

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      40.5 KB
      Views:
  11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you're running Windows 2000 or XP, iTunes and QuickTime are a mandatory bundle. If it is not available yet, QuickTime 6.5.2 will ship with iTunes 4.7 when iTunes 4.7 is available.

12. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Whoa. Is this something new?

Can you imagine it, a WiFi device to control AirTunes - something we have all wanted but thought it should go on the iPod. What if its some sort of seperate controller...? :rolleyes:

13. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

This would be awesome. Awesome. Did I mention remote control of AirTunes would be awesome? :D

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I don't have one but I would want one if you could do this. An interesting idea...why force it to be WiFi? Bluetooth, if you boost the transmitting range, would do great on less battery power. Oh, duh. Airport Express is WiFi. :eek: Still interesting though.

And for you lunatics out there who thing that syncing your iPod via Bluetooth would be neat...it takes forever to even do one 3 MB file, much less 60GB of stuff!

15. Avicdar macrumors regular

Isn't the basestation itself running 'airtunes'?

My guess is that all this message means is that the firewall might prevent normal communication between the PC hosting iTunes, and the Airport express base station.

I'm thinking that Airtunes is something Apple considers as running inside the Airport extreme, which links to iTunes. I can't explain why the message is appearing all of a sudden, but I think its more plausable than some iPods having mysterious wifi hardware built in.

Of course, it would be great for the ipods to have this mysterious trick up their sleeve.

16. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

I know the iPods aren't hiding WiFi (people have taken them apart to prove that), but Mr. Jobs DID say that they had some capabilities that people didn't know about... When are we going to find out? Or was that just a statement blown way out of proportion or out of context?

17. ephica macrumors newbie

it was probably so we'd buy the new 4g ipods, thinking there was some radical new feature we didn't know about yet. then they come out with the ipod photo, which we also buy/upgrade to. since there wasn't much gap in-between their releases, a lot of people would have just bought the ipod photo if it came out with the other 4g's, or if they knew it was coming shortly after.

18. damson34 macrumors 6502

Something else missing from 4.7 is the ability to search for a specific type of file. It was in the previous version. Example is if u search for mpeg all mp3 files would show up or AAC for example. Don't know what happened to it.

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

So you are saying that when I enter AAC or Lossless in my searchfield it won't show me the AAC or Lossless files I have anymore? :eek:

Can anyone else confirm this?

20. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

That still works for me... (You have to type "mpeg" not "mp3" but I think that's the way it always was.)

21. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Nope, doesn't work anymore. Try searching for AACs or Lossless for example. No workie.

22. dotnina macrumors 6502a

It only works if you have iTunes set to display the "Kind" column. "Kind" displays the file type. Then, try typing "AAC" -- it works.

23. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Aah, so they finally limited the search functions to the visible columns. Neat to know. :D Thanks.

24. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

That also explains why it sure seemed to be working for me, yet I was told it actually did NOT work... :rolleyes:

25. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

ya, ya. :p :D