Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple introduced two new features in iTunes today.

My Alerts (iTunes Link)

A custom page on iTunes which lists "recent releases from artists whose work you've purchased on iTunes." Apple also allows you to sign up to receive Email notifications of these alerts.

Complete My Album (iTunes Link)

Perhaps more exciting is the "Complete My Album" feature which was previously rumored late last year.

"Complete My Album" allows customers to purchase the remainder of an album for a discounted price.

Did you know that if you've purchased one or more songs from an eligible album, you may now be able to buy the rest of the album at a reduced price? You have up to six months after first downloading a song from an eligible album to purchase the remainder of the album.

The reasoning behind this strategy is to provide more incentives to customers to purchase full albums -- or at least not penalize them for buying singles ahead of time. Previously, if you purchased a single song from iTunes ($.99) and later bought the full album ($9.99), you were charged twice for that song. This new feature helps avoid that scenario -- at least for certain albums and for a limited period of time.

[ digg this ]

randyharris

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
The complete album idea sounds like a good idea, however, I still favor subscription based solutions like Rhapsody.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I've already completed a few of my albums. This is nice... I can finally have a beautiful bacchanal of Ben Folds, Elton John, and Barry Manilow with FULL ALBUMS.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
I don't think My Alerts is technically new; I've had alerts for a couple of artists for years. I think the alerts for artists from the Purchase History is new, though.

EDIT: Okay, took a look at all the albums I can buy under "Complete My Album" - and found exactly ZERO albums that interested me. This isn't going to change my current behavior of cherry-picking the best songs from bloated albums.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
Glade to see that they have provided an incentive / viable option for people that want to purchase pre-album release singles then get the album.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
This is:

a) A really boring rumour
b) Not in the least bit 'exciting'.

It is about time that you didn't have to pay twice for a song. I have stopped using iTunes because it's £0.79 for UK and $0.99 in the US - which is £0.50 after you convert currency. **** you apple.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
So evil. They sucked me in. I had two free song credits so I used those knowing I could purchase the rest of the album... which went the tiniest bit over the remaining iTMS credit I've been hoarding for quite some time now. :eek:

Really glad they've finally enabled such a feature. :D

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Just another example

Just another example of Apple doing the right thing for their customers.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
This is:

a) A really boring rumour
b) Not in the least bit 'exciting'.

Unless you previously bought a single song and like it so much now that you want to get the rest of the album as well - until now you would either have to pay twice for the same song you had already purchased, or get the other tracks one by one, which would result in a higher price.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i completed an album in which i purchased six singles. it only seemed right i complete the last five. let's see what else i can complete!

bmoorhouse

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Houston
This is a neat feature, but I don't understand why people are upset that it wasn't offered before.

I mean, say you bought a 45 or a cassette or CD single back in the day . . . how many stores would then give you a discount or let you trade it in towards the full album or cassette? Not one.

Of course, don't get me wrong, I like the new feature. I just see it as a bonus and not something that I have been entitled to all along.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
okay.. so the new features basically confirm Apple is tracking iTunes user data... (its only marketing, duh.) I'm fine with it.

And while we're at it, how about:
1. iTunes authorization management - can i PLEASE have the ability to de-authorize computers on my own?
2. re-download files previously purchased from iTunes - yes, even Mac hard drives crash and data is lost.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
<snip>
It is about time that you didn't have to pay twice for a song. I have stopped using iTunes because it's £0.79 for UK and $0.99 in the US - which is £0.50 after you convert currency. **** you apple.

Not really Apples fault. We pay more for everything over here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.