Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
Yeah I agree with you on everything. Although I can hear a bigger difference between 320 AAC and Lossless as say between 192 AAC and 320 AAC.

And the down conversion feature is one that WMP had for years now and I wished Apple would add every time they revise iTunes. :(

ditto!.

Bandwidth (and HD storage!) get's cheaper every year - They just need to change this, hold a download amnesty on 'replacing with lossless what you've bought at 128K' and move forward having relatively and painlessly removed another obstacle for success. I understand the immensity of it on the infrastructure which is why I'm glad to pay a premium for it but at least offer me the choice!. I don't even mind waiting while it's retrieved from a jukebox and streamed in real time!.

I wonder if Steve pumps out the old 128K AAC through his £50,000.00 home music system ? If he can, hand on heart, say he does - I'll never mention it again and I'll accept the 'new way and the new sound'....

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
You own it!

I wish I can sell my songs I don't like anymore back to iTunes.

As convenient as iTunes is, there are still times bad songs get through and I regret a purchase. Too bad there wasn't a limited time return policy, where you could select a song and remove it from your library and recieve credit. Or maybe a listening limit, say like three times or something. If you haven't selected it for return it adds it permently to your library and the option goes away.

Almost all other products purchased have a return policy, why not music? So, when it was CDs they could say the disc was used if the shrinkwrap was removed, but this is all just digital media, so there is no technical reason this couldn't be done.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
ditto!.
I wonder if Steve pumps out the old 128K AAC through his £50,000.00 home music system ? If he can, hand on heart, say he does - I'll never mention it again and I'll accept the 'new way and the new sound'....

Or play iTunes movies on his 60" HDTV :rolleyes:

I don't think he does, but I agree with you, if he really did, I'd shut up.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
As convenient as iTunes is, there are still times bad songs get through and I regret a purchase. Too bad there wasn't a limited time return policy, where you could select a song and remove it from your library and recieve credit. Or maybe a listening limit, say like three times or something. If you haven't selected it for return it adds it permently to your library and the option goes away.

Almost all other products purchased have a return policy, why not music? So, when it was CDs they could say the disc was used if the shrinkwrap was removed, but this is all just digital media, so there is no technical reason this couldn't be done.

Sorry, but this would just open the door to massive music thievery...

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles

The reason they don't return CDs isn't because of the shrinkwrap. It is easy and cheap for them to rewrap something. The reason is that you could make a copy of the CD before you return it. The same is true with iTunes. Download, burn a CD-R, return it. Easy piracy.

network23

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
okay.. so the new features basically confirm Apple is tracking iTunes user data... (its only marketing, duh.) I'm fine with it.

And while we're at it, how about:
1. iTunes authorization management - can i PLEASE have the ability to de-authorize computers on my own?
2. re-download files previously purchased from iTunes - yes, even Mac hard drives crash and data is lost.

Re: #1,

At the very least, I'd like the ability to "label" the authorizations. Give me a simple field where I can type in "Family Room G4" or "Den Macmini". Then even if I couldn't deauthorize them remotely, I could at least see a list of "which" computers were authorized. That would help immensely in figuring out why I have five already authorized and which one or more I need to deauthorize if I want to authorize a new computer.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Is the Complete My Album feature on all iTunes stores yet?
Edit-Complete My Album works on the Australia iTS, so it's not US-only.

Hopefully, this is a sign of things to come for out-of-US consumers. With initial agreements in place for a large number of countries, Apple should have more luck negotiating broader content deals, i.e., getting more content in more places in less time.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Overall, I think Complete My Album is great. It will have two effects on me personally. 1) I will complete some albums, giving iTunes more sales and me cheaper prices. 2) I will be less hesitant to buy individual songs when I think that I might like the whole album, also giving iTunes more sales and allowing me to try a bit before I commit to the whole thing.

I posted essentially the same two benefits on AppleInsider, and I think they will both have a big effect on the way I shop for music.

When a new album comes out by an established artist that I like, I very often wait a looooong time before downloading a track because I never can decide if I want the whole album. Instead, I'm buying a lot more one-off tracks from bands I don't know and may or may not seek out again.

This deal gives me the incentive to go ahead and sample everything and decide about albums later.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
More good news, from CNN.com:

"For a limited period of 90 days, Apple said it will make the "Complete My Album" offer retroactive to users who purchased tracks dating back to the launch of the iTunes Store four years ago"

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Re: #1,

At the very least, I'd like the ability to "label" the authorizations. Give me a simple field where I can type in "Family Room G4" or "Den Macmini". Then even if I couldn't deauthorize them remotely, I could at least see a list of "which" computers were authorized. That would help immensely in figuring out why I have five already authorized and which one or more I need to deauthorize if I want to authorize a new computer.

Can you elaborate on this?

i.e. Where would you like to label the authorizations? I'm trying to understand since you can see by looking at the iTunes client on any given machine to know whether that machine is authorized or not. Since the machine that is authorized would be the one you're looking at, I'm not sure what would be the point of putting a label to say "Den Mac authorized" on your Den Mac.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be combative or anything I'm just curious to understand exactly what you were envisioning before I comment further on it. I think I like the idea, but I may have some different thoughts on how to implement it.

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Can you elaborate on this?

i.e. Where would you like to label the authorizations? I'm trying to understand since you can see by looking at the iTunes client on any given machine to know whether that machine is authorized or not. Since the machine that is authorized would be the one you're looking at, I'm not sure what would be the point of putting a label to say "Den Mac authorized" on your Den Mac.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be combative or anything I'm just curious to understand exactly what you were envisioning before I comment further on it. I think I like the idea, but I may have some different thoughts on how to implement it.

I actually like the idea of remote deauthorization, but there are some variables one must consider that puts a few holes in this. In order to deauthorize, the computer must first be connected to the internet, but must also be connected through iTunes. If you are remotely deauthorizing computers the other 4 must all be connected to iTunes so that you can select which one to deauthorize and have it happen on the spot.

If you lose that computer, or it's stolen, the theif must be connected to the online store in order for you to remote deauthorize that system. If that computer never accesses the internet again, you cannot get that one available spot in your account back. If the computer is destroyed, this is also not Apple's responsibility, and you must suffer this loss.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Not very interesting to me. If I had wanted the full album then I would have done it at purchase. Perhaps a great concept album might tempt me but I can't imagine anything in my library that would compel me to go back for leftovers or b sides.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
Complete my Album is exactly what iTunes has been needing. ...Although the time limit is a little disappointing.

I agree, the time limit does suck, but I suppose if I'm going to get the whole album, it will be within the first 6 months or never.

LOOKING FOR REAL RUMORS HERE PEOPLE!!! MOVE ALONG!! :rolleyes:

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
I actually like the idea of remote deauthorization, but there are some variables one must consider that puts a few holes in this. In order to deauthorize, the computer must first be connected to the internet, but must also be connected through iTunes. If you are remotely deauthorizing computers the other 4 must all be connected to iTunes so that you can select which one to deauthorize and have it happen on the spot.

If you lose that computer, or it's stolen, the theif must be connected to the online store in order for you to remote deauthorize that system. If that computer never accesses the internet again, you cannot get that one available spot in your account back. If the computer is destroyed, this is also not Apple's responsibility, and you must suffer this loss.

I would rather just be able to take the computer off the list at APPLE (as they are keeping track of your authorized computers, sort of like some software does when you have to move the registration FLASH, DREAMWEAVER, ETC.). I had a hard drive crash on my fiancees laptop, replaced the hard drive and boom... I lost an authorization. I had my computer at work authorized, and it was swapped out while I was on Vacation. All of my music was on the new computer, but I had to eat another autorization in order to listen to my music at work. That is two less computers I'll ever be able to hook up to again.

Does anybody know a work around? Can I call and fix the problem?

CoreWeb

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Edge of reason
Or play iTunes movies on his 60" HDTV :rolleyes:

I don't think he does, but I agree with you, if he really did, I'd shut up.

No, he probably uses a 2nd Gen AppleTV. Though, 1080p is not the problem, so much as 5.1 and (more importantly) lack of 720 on the iTunes store. Perhaps he also has access to 720p content...

Hey, before HD-DVD and Bluray, there wasn't any readily available hard media better than DVD.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Really nice to see.

I think they could make it smartr - looks through your library and also IDs alike songs incase you already have it from an EP or like.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
I would rather just be able to take the computer off the list at APPLE (as they are keeping track of your authorized computers, sort of like some software does when you have to move the registration FLASH, DREAMWEAVER, ETC.). I had a hard drive crash on my fiancees laptop, replaced the hard drive and boom... I lost an authorization. I had my computer at work authorized, and it was swapped out while I was on Vacation. All of my music was on the new computer, but I had to eat another autorization in order to listen to my music at work. That is two less computers I'll ever be able to hook up to again.

Does anybody know a work around? Can I call and fix the problem?

The only workaround I know of is to deauthorize all your computers in iTunes (just click on your account name in the upper right when you go to the store). You can do this once a year, which ought to be enough to cover the situations you're talking about.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
The only workaround I know of is to deauthorize all your computers in iTunes (just click on your account name in the upper right when you go to the store). You can do this once a year, which ought to be enough to cover the situations you're talking about.

Nope, it just says:

Computer Authorizations: 4 machines are authorized to play music purchased with this account.

(2 of those machines no longer exist)

There is no way to change it, that I can see, but I'm VERY impatient. :(

mjones1040

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2007
The time limit is silly

I've wanted this feature for a long time, but the time limit seems really silly. I am more inclined to complete an album with songs that I may or may not like if I can do it anytime I like. If I don't meet the time frame they suggests, then I will just buy the tracks I want for 99 cents each. (in most cases cheaper for me) The reason for not purchasing the full album in the first place is because it is loaded with songs that I don't want. I bet albums are going to get substantially bigger which will make the 99 cents per track price much less attractive to those who don't buy the full album in the beginning....assuming they like the songs...

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Despite what some self-proclaimed audiophiles love to maintain, 128kbps AAC is fundamentally indiscernible from dithered 16-bit Linear PCM (CD Digital Audio, aka "Red Book").

I have seen all kinds of flawed so-called A/B comparisons but never any substantial discernible differences from a rigorous double-blind test....

Ever consider the fact that different people hear differently? Just because you can't hear the difference doesn't mean someone who's either developed, or was born with, "better" hearing cannot.

It's not just a matter of a person's hearing range, such as a 20-20k, etc. Some people cannot hear "binaural beats" or "[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_(acoustics)]beats[/URL] produced from playing two slightly out of tune pitches. Many people can however... :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.