New iTunes features

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Camille, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Camille macrumors regular

Hi!
    HAve you got the new iTunes version? (6.0.2)
    If yes, do you know the features it has got? (i allready discovered it has ministore and bug fixes).
    THanks!

2. croshtique macrumors 6502

Can tag videos as "TV shows"
    Able to stream music to up to 3 AirportExpresses at a time
    Able to convert videos to iPod format in iTunes (but it's slooooow)

3. Boelman macrumors regular

is there any possible way to have itunes play .ogg files or is that not possible. I have managed to get the VLC media player to play them but I don't have a way to throw them on my ipod.

4. supergod macrumors 6502

Now iTunes has a large blue bar at the bottom that takes up about a huge amount of space. How do you turn this off? because I don't see any obvious setting.

5. supergod macrumors 6502

Oh never mind, you just have to go into parental settings and click to disable the music store.

6. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

You just need to (usually manually) install the appropriate Quicktime component:
    http://www.macminicenter.com/wiki/index.php?title=Software:Frameworks

7. Boelman macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully this works

8. croshtique macrumors 6502

No need to disable the entire music store. Click the button with the arrow on it next to the EQ button. Or Edit > Hide MiniStore (Shift-Command-M)

9. supergod macrumors 6502

Thanks for that. You'd think it would be under prefs, not in edit: to be honest, I simply don't understand some of the changes that Apple has been making. They ought to keep it simple. Having a mini store automatically, sort of feels like a microsoft style.

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

iTunes has new contextual menus for 'Add to Playlist' and 'Show in Playlist'.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

11. M.Capz macrumors member

Also, you may be able to tag TV Shows but, they don't show up in TV Shows on my iPod :confused:

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That's so much more helpful than the old "Playlists" they replaced... I like... :)

But the best thing with 6.0.2: Playlist folders are now spring loading... :) :) :)

13. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Thank you. That helped me IMMENSELY. I thought that the new thing at the bottom was SO annoying - I was ready to boycott the music store. (They don't want to lose my business, I spend about $500 a year with them).

14. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Whoa, wouldn't that eliminate access to the music store altogether? I just want to be rid of the mini store at the bottom! It takes up way too much space!!!

15. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

sorry, should have read on befor freakin out. Thanks for the tip.

16. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

The button just to the left to the eq button on the bottom right corner of iTunes allows you to turn it on and off at will. Or the keyboard shortcut equivalent mentioned already in this thread.

When I first saw it, I had pretty much the same reaction: too big and it just looked more or less like a iTunes store banner advertisement. But it actually has a pretty neat feature. When you select a song in iTunes, it searches the iTunes music store and returns results in the "mini store" based solely on the artist and song you're listening to. It's not something I want to see all the time, but it's handy if I want to check out some new music similar to what I already have without actually going to the music store and plugging in various searches.

It will probably be mostly off in my case, but I like the fact that it's there just in case I need it.

17. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Is there a "folder" menu on the iPod yet or are all playlists still grouped together?

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Now that is totally cool. I can now have my apartment filled with music, room to room.

So I guess Handbrake is still the better choice?

19. croshtique macrumors 6502

Handbrake (for DVDs) or iSquint (for pretty much any video format you have) would be faster!

20. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

The Auto-convert for videos is a great feature IMO because apparently lots of people don't know how, so they get pissed, then they ask me and I love telling them I use a Mac only program, then they give me this sad/upset look. I have good news to tell them.

21. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

This is going to sound stupid and backwards. But how do you get the mini store? Mine doesn't have it.

Just so you know, "About iTunes" says I have version 6.0.2 (23) and software update says there are no updates for me.

Not that I necessarily want the mini store, but it concerns me that I am missing a feature that I should have.

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Shift-apple-M

23. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Tried the shift-apple-m and it didn't do anything. I am going to try reinstalling iTunes from the website download.

24. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The news that 6.0.2 isn't available for Windows (yet) ?:rolleyes:

B

25. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Well, after reinstalling the same version over itself I now get the mini store. Wonder what went wrong, oh well.