New iTunes is cool, but it uses a lot more ram than the old one....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VoodooDaddy, Sep 14, 2006.

1. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

May 14, 2003
    I've noticed in my sys monitor that itunes quickly gets up to over 80mb used, where the old one I never saw it over 40mb I think. Any tips on keeping the resources down for us poor souls with only 512mb ram?
  2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    Could be to do with the new album flow view and more Artwork available/used?
  3. mcarnes macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    When technology progresses, Confucius say: buy more RAM.
  4. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

May 14, 2003
    Well with the new mini and monitor I'm already in over $1100. I didn't really want to have to spend another $100+ for a stick of ram right now.

So can I turn off the album art or something? I was importing a bunch of it last night, maybe not such a good idea??
  5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    Seems like the OS hasn't yet fully optimised system after your heavy work last night. It'll sort things out over the next few days. Many of my graphics heavy games are slow the first few times I run them, then they speed up.

Running a maintenance tool such as Cocktail or SterMachine, which will check all permissions, sort out prebinding, clear caches, and other routine maintenance/housekeeping tasks that sometimes don't get done, will also help a lot.

Putting in an extra 512mb or even 1gig extra of RAM will really really help - OSX really needs a gig minimum. If you can't afford it now, try to get it soon.

Hope this helps.
  6. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

May 14, 2003
    So over time while it runs the system will adjust itself to make it run more efficiently? That's cool if it does that.

As far as the ram goes I've known since the first week I had the mini I needed more. I was really surprised at how sluggish the thing is with only 512 compared to my old windows box which had 512.

I began keeping an eye on ram and came across a link to newegg for the g-skill ram. At the time it was hovering in the mid $70 range and I should have bought it then, but it thought I'd wait a little while longer and see what the price does. Well since then its been a steady incline. As of today its $104. :(
  7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Now personally, you shouldn't need to add more RAM to use a free application from Apple.

Photoshop I understand, but iTunes? Not at all.
  8. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm guessing just keep the view to list, none of the fancy album art work views :)

I would save up for the ram upgrade as new computers really need some more grunt.