New iTunes music library site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development (archive)' started by mainstreetmark, Dec 9, 2003.

1. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Hey community -

Since my plans for spending Thanksgiving with my favorite girl got flushed down the toilet, I spent the major part of that holiday weekend creating some tools to analyze my iTunes playlist.

I eventually realized it would be neat to share these tools with the community, so I converted it to a website, added a few tools and a forum.

The site lets you upload your iTunes XML file, which then enables the site to graph your collection by various methods.

It's all quite new, but I thought I'd enlist you guys to help populate the song database a bit before i make a big announcement. It's hard to come up with really interesting reports when I'm only using my library. :)

http://www.itunesregistry.com

2. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Interesting project. I don't maintain a huge library on my machines, but I uploaded a little just to check it out.

One thing I'd want to see is a better explanation of the diversity and uniqueness ratings and how you relate to others on the My Tracks page.

Nice work! :)

3. macrumors 68020

howard

wow thats really really cool!

i've posted on here numerous times that I LOVE STATS!!!

i loaded up mine, can't wait till the site gets up and running smoothly with more entries

COOL!!

4. macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

truly phat site. Uploaded my music and it seems to be working great. I can't wait until it gets fleshed out a little more. Great idea!

5. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i'm having a helluva time uploading my 12.7MB file to the server

6. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

wow. so that's what they can do with the web nowadays:) nice job.
    i got some errors trying to upload, but i've been having airport issues all week. i'll try again later. looks cool, though.

7. thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Thanks guys. I think I have the upload limit at 10M currently. I'll increase it. I guess I also better stick in some anti-hack stuff in there so some clown doesn't upload a script.

I'll get all these things worked out in a week, maybe. These are all growing pains from moving from my powerbook to my main server.

---

looks like i'm having a cookie problem again today. I use the Forum's cookie, which is all packed together in varying ways.

Have patience, and post in that forum. :)

8. macrumors 65816

Very nice, this should be good for iTunes.
    Maybe you could incorperate DailyTunes.com linking to the iTMS.

9. thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

We talked about that very thing last night.

Given a title/artist, I could (eventually) provide a ton of stats, such as how many people own it, it's average rating, how many times it has been played, etc...etc...

I think we've got a lot of the major bugs worked out and I'm anxious to get it posted on MacBytes or something.

10. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

i thought about making a site like this! bugger, someone beat me to it...

my iTunes library was 4mb :O

11. macrumors 603

OutThere

Looks pretty cool....I'd be interested in seeing how popular it gets.