New iTunes Released

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by nickspohn, Sep 5, 2007.

1. macrumors 68040

nickspohn

2. macrumors member

Uh, yeah. You have to first buy the song from iTunes, and then you have to pony up another 99 cents to make a ringtone out of it.

As Bob Saget would say, "**** that ****."

Time for iToner.

3. macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Guess Steve Jobs is trying to find ways to get closer to Bill Gates income? .99 + .99 = Failure for Apple

4. macrumors 68000

darthraige

Today's Apple Updates

It still boggles my mind that someone would actually PAY for a RINGTONE!!!! I can do it for free and make my own with final cut and transfer it for free with bluetooth? Why are people still buying ringtones?

5. macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Service will be turned on "next week"? Really? Come on, just do it now.

6. macrumors 6502a

You do know at $1.98 thats cheaper then most other cell companies charge for ringtones.

7. macrumors 6502

mpuck972

It's works now with third party apps, and they only cost $10-$15 total, as opposed to $1.98 each tone.

8. macrumors member

The cell companies are ripoff artists when it comes to ringtones. Just because Apple is cheaper doesn't make them any more right.

And I've already GOT my music. Fair use doctrine tells me I should not have to pay to snip a piece of it into a ringtone.

Apple blew this one big time, boys and girls. iTunes should let you snip any song you already own into a ringtone, free of charge.

9. macrumors 6502

mpuck972

I agree 100%. It amazes me how forgiving most people on here are of Apple. If that was Bill Gates announcing that, as opposed to Steve Jobs, there would be lawsuits filed already.

We own it, we should be able to use it.

10. macrumors 6502a

so what if you already downloaded and paid for a song through itunes. will you have to buy that song all over again and wind up with two copies of the same song or will itunes recognize the differance between the songs you downloaded from them and say the songs you downloaded from another source.

11. macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

12. macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Yeah, I would rather do something that was made by the company that made the phone and is guarenteed to work and not cause problems later. I just don't wanna mess with iToner or anything.

13. macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Are you serious, they're only going to allow paid transfers to the iphone?
    Im so glad I got the iphone ringtone maker then :D

14. macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Its not going to cause any problems or mess with the phone bro.
    If you feel like paying Itunes for ringtones thats up to you but those programs like Itoner and iphone ringtone maker work perfect and with both updates never gave any problems to anyone.

15. macrumors 6502

mpuck972

I felt the same way, but Canuck is right, these programs work seemless.

16. macrumors bot

MacRumors

New iTunes Released

[​IMG]

Apple released a new version of iTunes at the "Beat Goes On" special media event today, allowing users to make their own ringtones & sync directly to the iphone for $.99 in addition to the cost of the song. The user is allowed to pick any 30 second selection from a song, with iTunes automatically creating fade-in and -out for the ringtone. After agreeing to your selection, you can click the "buy" button and for 99¢ you have a ringtone.

Only select songs are available to create ringtones from, with each usable track displaying a "bell" icon.

Article Link

17. macrumors 6502a

This sounds retarded.

If iTunes lets you import your own ring-tones created out of iTunes then I take this comment back 100%.

18. macrumors regular

I hope people maintain some perspective here: this is one of the cheapest, legit ringtone services available.

I think its crazy that the record labels will only license ringtones separately, but since ringtones shot up into an insane amount of revenue real quick it isn't too surprising. If it were Apple's call, there wouldn't be an additional charge at all...

19. macrumors 6502

What if it is content that I own the copyright too? My own content?

20. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, seeing as how we have all these software options coming out left and right that do the same thing, I don't see how this affects ANYONE here.

Only the ignorant should be offended by this, since they're the only one who'll pay for it. Smart folks have no reason to complain.

So who here wants to be the first to complain? :D

21. macrumors member

my thing is we paid 500$ for the phone plus 20+ a month and we can't even use our own songs for ringtones, Some of us do still use CD's!

22. macrumors regular

damienvfx

Are there any other iPhone owners out there who are annoyed with Apple right now? Some of us just bought a $600 phone 2 MONTHS ago, and they just dropped the price, and released a new product that is almost the same thing without having to deal with at&t.

Thanks Apple. Remind me never to buy any new device you come out with for a couple of months ever again.

23. macrumors member

God^Cent

24. macrumors regular

You can, just not through iTunes's service.

It's amazing to me that people are under the impression that everything is coming to them for the low, low cost of nothing.

This is how capitalism works, boys and girls. Apple offers a service, you either find it worth the price or you don't. One thing I hate about the post-Napster era is how so many folks think anything they want should be free.

25. macrumors 6502

You must be new here.