New iTunes views worthless

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KingYaba, Sep 13, 2006.

1. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yeah they are worthless for those of us who keep all our music on our iPods. WTF! :mad:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

huh? these are iTunes features, not iPod features. i don't understand why you would be upset?

3. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I don't keep any music on my computer's Harddrive...

Open up iTunes. You'll see that you can browse through your music collection three ways now. My iTunes library is on my freakin iPod. Not my internal HD. So when I connect my iPod. I can't use that new spiffy album viewer to select songs.

[​IMG]
    You can't use the other two view types...

4. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

OK ... So you're using iTunes+iPod in a way inconsistent with the way it was designed to be used and now you're pitching a fit that you can't use new features?

:rolleyes:

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm... I'm sorry. :( But that's not exactly the officially supported way of doing things. You know Apple well enough by now to know better. They're never overly kind to people who don't do things the official way.

6. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

What are you talking about? All my music is stored regularly on my iPod.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Show me where on the Apple instruction or support pages it recommends that you do this. There have always been limitations before with using an iPod this way, and so why should now be any different? That's the point we're making. You went off and decided to do it. The consequences are yours.

8. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I just want to ****ing browse my music as if I'd have it all on my computer. I dont' see why there should be a problem with that. I'm using my iPod "wrong?" What the hell am I not getting?

9. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

You're supposed to store the music on the computer and sync your iPod to that collection.

That's how it's designed to be used. That's not how you're using it.

10. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

The standard way to use iTunes is to manage your library on your computer and sync whatever you wish to your iPod. I imagine if you did it this way you'd find that there are a LOT of things you're missing out on, not just this.

11. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Thank you for clarifying.

12. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I think the problem is with the "as if." It's not on your computer, so why would expect the same operability? Especially on a first release?

Are you tight for HD space?

13. Rhema macrumors member

The thing everyone is trying to say is that Itunes and the Ipod weren't designed to work in the way that you use them. It's designed to have the music library on your HD and then to flow to the Ipod, its not designed to flow backwards. Apple would have to program Itunes and the Ipod to work the way that you have it.

its made to work like this
    CD -> iTunes -> iPod.

your using it like this
    CD -> iTunes -> iPod -> iTunes

The last step that you are wanting to do, for the iPod to work backwards, has never been created.that is why everyone is saying that your doing it backwards and that is why everyone is saying don't be upset for it not doing something that it wasnt' created to do

14. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Very tight. Hence why I keep everything on my iPod and not on my internal HD. And no, I don't have an external HD.

I assume Apple to know everything. ;)

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Actually, iTunes 7 breaks the traditional rules. You can now sync your iPod to 2 iTunes libraries without using manual mode and you can import purchased tracks back from the iPod to any iTunes you connect to.

That said, there are a lot of poeple who seem to want to force iTunes+iPod into doing things the way they think it should be done and then complain about how it doesn't work. I tried that for a while. I had my library spread out over my HDD and used my iPod in manual mode. One day I decided to try things the way that it was intended, consolidated my library and set it to auto-sync specific playlists and I have never been happier.

You might want to just give it a try the way they intend it before changing the default settings...

B

16. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

It wouldn't be worth it for you anyway, as it appears your music is improperly tagged in the first place :D

17. dwishbone macrumors regular

i can see why kingyaba would want to do what he does. i have often wished i could use iTunes to just manage my iPod directly and dont store anything locally on the machine. i do alot of video work and every little megabyte is precious and i dont have the money for a ton of hard drives. id love to just have all of my music stored on the iPod and access it through iTunes on the computer when im at home/work and have it mobile...well...when im not.
    i dont need the same 60GB mirrored on the drive all the time.
    so its a valid complaint/request...i think he just kinda went about it the wrong way at the start.

18. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

And then when your iPod fails, you accidentally break it, or it gets stolen then what? Say bye you all your music as you'll be SOL.

19. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Ya, no album names=no album artwork anyway...

*can a mod change the title of this thread to "worthless using an iPod.."

20. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I would get a new iPod, and import the CDs again.
    Yes it would, I have artwork on almost all of the songs. Secondly you're only seeing the very top of my playlist. Which happens to be "poorly tagged." My AC/DC collection is a mix of songs, the same with Alice in Chains.
    Yeah, you're a funny guy, aren't you? :rolleyes:

21. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

For the record I used to use my iPod the same way KingYaba does.

Unfortunately due to a stupid mistake on my part, I accidentally deleted everything on the iPod... I was so mad, I actually sold the iPod and gave up on them for about 2 years.

Just recently I bought a 30 gig 5G iPod with video, which is nice. I have still not been bothered to re-import all my CDs, though. :p

22. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

That is crazy!!! The time it takes to re-rip those albums is worth a lot more than a dirt-cheap external hard drive.

23. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Wow, I don't understand why people are giving KingYaba a bad time. I use my ipod in the same way. I have a 2 gig nano, but I have all my entire music library on my Mac Pro. At work I use several computers and just use iTunes to play the music through my iPod. I don't bother copying the music to these other computers because I change my playlist on a daily basis, plus it's a waste of time and space to do so, it's already on my iPod ready to use.

The ability not to use the new views while using the iPod through iTunes is just silly, I don't see why it can't be done. I also don't understand peoples reactions, people all high and mighty saying "you are using it the wrong way, that's what you get". It's like you want these features not allowed while connected to the iPod, what's wrong with more features, what benefit is there people not being able to use the new views through their iPod?

24. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Sheesh, you're cranky...

I was just trying to get an appropriate title for the thread, not trying to attack you or anything...

For the rest of us Album art view is hardly worthless, so it's a misleading title.

25. macfan881 macrumors 68020

exactly u can get a internal hd for pretty cheap get the size of ur ipod for example or a lil bigger and get a hd inclosure u can get those for 30 bucks with shipping and u probaly can get a internal Hd like a 30-100 gig now for under 100 i would asume i have this and does great especailly for back up plus u can save ur hd from ur old computer if u would ever have to get a new one or get a dl dvd drive The price on those have come down alot i got mine for 99 bucks after instant rebates as well