NEW iTunes...!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Masterhalifax, Dec 10, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

AAAAHHHHH...

So my memory was full on my Macbook Air, so i transferred all my Tunes library across to an external hard drive and deleted it off my MacAir. I opened it from my external drive and it opened no issues....

Later i updated my MacAir, this included new iTunes 11.0. Now i cant open my iTunes from my Hard drive, its states -

The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Would you like to download iTunes now? (which isnt true, it was created by an older version!

Then i click download and this message appears -

An unknown error occurred (-42408)

I have tried iTunes preferences - Advanced and selecting new library but it wont let me select from external drive (its faded out)...

HELP...

2. macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Have you tried trashing the iTunes preferences? I haven't seen this issue before but that might jump-start it working again and allow you to set your external as your library source.

If that doesn't work I have a hunch that you'll have to re-download iTunes and re-import your library.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

How do i 'trash preferences'?

I tried to delete the NEW iTunes but it wouldn't let me..

4. macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Go to:

Code:
    ~/Library/Preferences/
    (to access the library select finder and hold option while clicking Go, library will appear)

and search for
    Code:
    com.apple.iTunes.plist
    When you find it just delete it. When you re-open iTunes it will be rebuilt and all your preferences will be default which may allow you to set them the way you like.