New job....PC....i just vomited a little.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sdashiki, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

So I got a new job.

yay me!

Graphic Design, web stuff etc etc.

But, of course, they use PCs. Its a school, so its all networked, and we have Outlook synced across the Dept, along with the website and lots of other IT stuff to keep us "locked down". Stuff I am sure that OSX wouldnt play nicely with, or nice enough for IT to like it.

So I cant install AIM, or iTunes, or anything without IT approval and help.

Question is, how do you say I want AIM and iTunes for my work computer?

And, is there a comparable Expose 3rd party thingy for XP, I hate going back to actually moving windows around to do stuff efficiently.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You say: "I want AIM and iTunes for my work computer."
    They say: "Get the **** out of my office."

Got concrete, legitimate reasons for needing these? Probably not.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Is there a "web" version of AIM? Surely they can't block every variant of an external website that happens to allow you to talk with friends via AIM.

I used to go on Webmessenger for MSN at uni (PhD student with an office = MSN can't normally connect), and when they found out about that, I simply used another web-based system. :)

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I use and LOVE meebo. It's just an awesome solution for those, like me and you, who can't access typical instant messaging protocols at work. It's almost a fully functioning instant messaging client inside a webbrowser. Also, you can change the http: to an https: for a secure connection. :) At times, it shows up as being blocked at work, but since they have multiple servers, I just connect to www13.meebo.com or www26.meebo.com or some other low number and it works.

In a related development, meebo is fully complient with Pirate Day. It can translate your words in to pirate-speak. Hahaha...I love it!

5. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No Macs? Just do the logical thing and quit. Just quit, man.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah.

Graphic design - no Macs? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever... :confused:

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I don't see why you couldn't do graphic design on a PC. For essentially single-tasking endeavours I don't think there's much of a difference.

Alt-Tab. Really quickly.

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Eggertsackerlee!

10. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Probably using MS Paint, by the sound of it.

11. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

I don't know. You could try, "I'm a designer... I listen to music as part of my creative process."

Also, while I hate to say it, as much as I prefer the experience of designing on a Mac, the Creatiev Suite apps work adequately on a PC.

I do think you should continue to look for work. It's generally not a good sign for the designers when IT has the ultimate say in a place.

12. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Ya, well, I have the CS suite on the machine. So, I got the programs I need, but the way you go about navigating the OS, ick.

13. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

actually, yea, they can. They can disallow web traffic from that domain, or any other one they want.

and don't bother trying to find a way around the security. Windows Server is designed to spot things like that. If you try to skirt the security protocols, they'll know.

14. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

AIM: Use some web based thingy.
    iTunes: Bring your iPod.
    Expose: I dunno with a 3rd party thing. Alt+tab stinks, but is the best I can think of:(

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

A lot of companies use instant messaging for sending files too large to send via email, but who don't want the inconvenience of ftp, so you could make a very valid case for AIM.

iTunes is a bit tougher. Could you claim you use it regularly to steal artwork (sorry!) get inspiration from album cover artwork? ;)

16. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

well its the old:

try to install a program from an installer .exe, and you get the contact IT dept message.

i know WHY they do it, i just hate it. Whenever I need to update flash, or something as ubiquitious as that, Id need to have IT do it for me.

Sigh.

iTunes, only because I hate WMP.

Graphic Design, on a PC or Mac, whether easier or harder, makes no difference to the artist. I still create stuff for a portfolio, I just might not like the workflow I had to use to make it.

17. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

look at it this way: you got a good job in a creative field, and those are tough to find. If the PC thing is the worst you have to put up with, well...that's not so bad.

Take the money you make from your job, and buy yourself a new MacPro for home. ;)

18. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

that exactly what I was planning. Give me a year and all my debts are paid off, and with it comes tons of spending cash!

going from sub $1000 a month to over $2200 plus benefits....

putting up with a PC, is the least Id do!

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well at least you got a job(hope my friend finds a job soon)...congrats and enjoy your PC;)

Bless

20. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Put the "show desktop" icon in the Quick Launch bar. It ain't expose but it definitely keeps the clutter down. I don't know how people keep all those damn windows in Windows everywhere, so confusing.

21. iGav macrumors G3

A designer on a PC??? Shurely shome mistrake??? :eek:

22. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I think the best Expose solution is alt tab, unless there is one on the internet that i dont know about.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Consider my situation.

I'm at work right now, on a Pee Cee. Right next to me, is an iMac G5, no one is using it. The Mac works perfectly, and I'm able to login to it. But, I can't use it :( Yeah, this blows. I'm stuck on a Windows XP PC with an iMac right there, it's really killing me :(

24. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Get access to a shell, install naim and screen, then use a web-based SSH service to SSH into the shell. If it gets around the lockouts on my gov't PC, it'll work at a school.

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Welcome to the real world where they couldn't care less if you're in touch with your music or your friends.