New Keystation 49e before I heard about MIDIKeys!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by noahsnyc, Aug 11, 2004.

1. noahsnyc macrumors regular

Hey hey -

In a rush of "good judgement", I decide that the only way I'll be able to really accomplish my dream of simple three and four note synth lines and easy beats is by purchasing one of those smart little Keystation 49e modules.

This thing is fantastic, just about idiot proof, just about portable, and seems to really do everything a simple little fellow could want if they're looking for easy beats, catchy synth lines and the occasional background on a piano. Basically, it's there to augment my iMic-based guitar input and crappy microphone.

Well, of course after spending most of the night playing around with my new, very cost effective toy, I come across a program that I had been looking for, but didn't know existed, called MIDIKeys. Basically, MIDIKeys programs your "z" through "," keys on your keyboard and the ones just above them as your "white and black" keys, respectively. This thing is just fantastic, not quite as intuitive as the proper keyboard, but really a fantastic and free little program for low-note beats and melodies.

Now I'm in a pickle! Can someone, anyone, please convince me to keep my new, proper keyboard in lew of returning or selling it to just use the more limited but very similar MIDIKeys??

Obviously, the Keystation leaves a lot of room to grow, more so than the program, but really what I want to do is so limited, the program might just do it....

Thanks for reading my little neurotic rant....

N.

2. kudzurising macrumors newbie

noahsnyc,

I think MIDIKeys is a great program & I'm using it right now while I decide which KB to buy. But as someone who is using MIDIKeys and based on my time working in a friend’s home studio, I would say you made the right choice.

In my experience there have been lines that the Mac kb just doesn't have the action for & where a KB would perform much better.

Also, not being a KB player but still knowing what piano notes are what, I am sure it will be MUCH quicker to moves chords/lines from my gtr to a KB. With MIDIKeys it's much less intuitive (while it does work on the z-, keys it also uses most of the lettered keys) and I think it's just a hassle to figure out how to voice some of the jazz chords.

Two other reasons for the KB are simple: you’ll never get a KBist to lay a track down on your song using MIDIKeys & as a musician, it never hurts to get more familiar with the piano.

3. noahsnyc thread starter macrumors regular

Kudzurising -

Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to feel like having the keyboard is the right thing to do, and who knows, I might just eventually actually know how to play the thing properly.

The big issue was that MIDIKeys is such a great program and really serves the needs of the "basic" melody very, very well. It is, however, not a "full-sized" keyboard, and lacks the ability to go through multipule octaves and serve an entire drum kit.

As for keyboards, I don't know what you're looking for, but the Keystation 49e I just got is great. The action seems very intuitive and responsive, and it works rather seemlessly with GB. The price is very, very right and it's just small and light enough to take with you. That, along with my iMic and guitar is making for great stuff this morning.

Thanks again

N.

4. kudzurising macrumors newbie

The only thing about the Keystation 49e that I'm not thrilled about is the lack of midi sounds built into the KB. It might be better for me to spend the xtra $ on a kb with some built in mid sounds so I can use it away from the Mac if I need to.