New Kid on the Block

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chaswes5, Dec 30, 2006.

1. chaswes5 macrumors newbie

I hope this is posted in the correct spot.

I am a PC user that has finally given up on PCs. Here is my question:

I am going to buy a mac pro in the near future. However, I do not have the $ to buy it and the 30" monitor at the same time.

I just ordered a ATI Radeon x1650 graphics card for my PC and want to know if it is powerful enough to run the 30" monitor. The card will support dual link DVI.

I am so looking forward to being back in the fold. I started out on Apples years ago and switched to PC when my company did.

Thanking y'all in advance.

Charles

PS

Are the private forums worth joining? Anyway to preview them in order to decide if it is worth my $

PS, PS

When will Lepoard be released?

2. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Why spend good money on a graphics card for a PC you are going to scrap. Will the ATI Radeon fit the Mac Pro?

surely you would be better buying the Mac pro now (it would drive your existing monitor) and then buy the 30"monitor at a later time.

Dave :)

3. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

why do you need a MacPro and not, say, and iMac? The iMacs are amazing machines, and it's a built-in monitor!

4. chaswes5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I need a monitor now and can wait to buy the Pro. Since, a bunch of new stuff is being added to the line in 07, I may have more options available to me. But I need a monitor now. I guess it all boils down to--not enough money in the Mac Pro budget at the moment.

No the x1650 is an AGP card and I believe all the new Pros are PCI express. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

I can use the PC with the new monitor and when I am ready to buy the Pro, I can sell the PC with a top of the line grahics card. In the mean time, I will have several months of enjoyment from both the Vid card and monitor.

I am going with the Pro instead of an iMac because I believe in the long run the Pro will last longer upgrade wise, lots of memory, storage, etc. and high end video card for games.

5. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Cheers,
    That makes sense.

Good luck with the Mac Pro fund. I'm using the G5 and hopefully my Mac Pro fund will be full enough (lol) to buy the pro in the early spring.

Best regards from Ireland
    Dave :)

6. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I would wait until Jan. 9th to purchase anything- even a display. As far as the pricate forums go, they're very secret and the only way to view them is to donate ;)

7. chaswes5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Dave, I was beginning to wonder if my logic was off. Yes, I am waiting until all the new stuff is out before making a purchase. I want to be on the cutting edge, at least the week I buy. lol

8. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

Well Mac Pro's already have a graphics card when you buy them so why would you need to put it in and all the video cards that come with the mac pro has dual link so a 30" ACD can work on them.

9. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Yes, wise to wait, enjoy your new gear. Unfortunately I will have to wait somewhat longer for mine.

Cheers
    Dave :cool:

10. chaswes5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently my logic is confusing.

I will order the Mac Pro with a high end graphics card when funds become available.

I am not ready to buy the Mac Pro at this time. I am ready to buy the
    Apple 30" monitor to use with my PC if the ATI Radeon x1650 agp graphic card will run it.

I am in transition and want to combine the best of both worlds for the time being.

11. chaswes5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will the ATI Radeon AGP x1650

with these specs run the 30" Apple Monitor?

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx1650/radeonx1650proagp/specs.html

Apple says the minimum needed to operate the monitor is:

Windows PC and graphics card that supports DVI ports with dual-link digital bandwidth and VESA DDC standard for plug-and-play setup

Any suggestions on where I find out the answer to my question?

Once, I receive the card, I will register it and then I will be eligible for free tech support from ATI now owned by AMD.

Thanks guys.

Charles

12. chaswes5 thread starter macrumors newbie

As far as I can tell from talking with apple tech support and sales person at one of the Atlanta stores, the ATI Radeon x1650 supports the 30 " monitor.