New Lacie HD questions.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by PHARAOHk, Jun 17, 2004.

1. PHARAOHk macrumors regular

I just got my 160 Gig Lacie HD today and the first thing I did was erase the hard drive. I couldn't find a place to "reformat" but I believe I did it correctly. Really My questions are:

-The Lacie icon for the drive was replaced with an orange firewire icon drive. Is that a problem or can I get back the original icon?

-Any success stories with using disk utility for drive back up? I'm thinking of backing up my powerbook to the Lacie so when I reformat the powerbook I won't have so much installing to do.

2. osprey76 macrumors 6502

1. The custom icon isn't needed. If you didn't back it up to a folder on your Powerbook, then it's gone. No big deal, though.

2. It depends on your level of backup. If it's just various files of yours you can certainly copy them to the Lacie. If you are looking to make a working copy of the entire Powerbook hard drive, you should get Carbon Copy Cloner. Since OS 10 has piles of invisible files and directories associated with the UNIX underpinnings, you can't just copy the System Folder like in OS 9 and before. Carbon Copy Cloner can be found here. CCC will make an identical copy of your Powerbook HD on the Lacie drive (maybe, last time I tried it there was an issue with Firewire HDs, but I think this is resolved). Note that the copy is exact, so if you were to run from the Firewire HD, you might have issues because the HD name will be different.