New Lacie HDD - what format option should i use?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by marknicholls, Jan 8, 2005.

1. marknicholls macrumors 6502

I have just recieved my Lacie External HDD, should i use Mac OS Extended or Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Also, i just wanted to make sure, when this hdd is mounted, its not completley silent is it? My mac is silent, and this lacie HDD is louder than my mac!! (its still very quite, i guess its the fan)

Many Thanks

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

My lacie also is louder than my powerbook (its a d2 extreme), but i cant hear it when i have it connected to m Powermac G4..

The d2 is fanless. Use Control Panel>Energy Settings and enble "put the disk to sleep when possible" option. That will make your drive silent when not used.

Both formatting opts will work. Journaled is a bit slower but more redundant.

-tb

3. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you unmount the drive when it is not in use? in the unlikley event that a virus could get onto the drive, if it is unmounted, in theroy isnt it connected to the mac?

4. brap macrumors 68000

This is true, but I generally leave that turned off, and have the drives spinning as much as possible. It's my understanding that startup and shutdown are the the actions which put most stress on the components... a little noise is worth not pushing my d2 to a premature death.

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I have my machine on about 24/7, but its only used a few hours a day, so i guess t will even out for me.. I'm also very sensible to noise. (i cant stand using my G4 after I have used my powerbook and imac g5 alot..)

6. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

On the other hand consumer drives these days are only made to run about 8 hours a day .. go over that and you are running the same theoretical risk

7. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, i have unmounted the drive, but should i also press the blue button to turn it of or not?

Thanks

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

When the drive is unmounted it will spin down, stop making noise, and cease activity, and the light will stay on until you unplug the firewire cable, or until you press the blue button, it's up to you.