New LaCie Network Drive = Media Center drive?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Peyote, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2002
    LaCie announced a new 250GB Network drive. Also available in 400GB and 500GB flavors, it features a 10/100 network port, as well as USB 2.0.

This drive connects to your network and can then be shared among all the computers on your network.

Is it just me, or does this sound like a great meda center solution? Hook this up to a wireless router that also has 2 wired ports, hook your Mac Mini up to one wired port, and the LaCie drive up to the other. TV out from the mini and you have a media player with 250GB of that can also be accessed via wifi from all your other computers for use as a regular storage drive.

Or is USB 2.0 faster? The drive is 7200RPM...would the specs be quick enough to just play movies off the drive itself?

Is 10/100 Ethernet fast enough for you to be able to play stored movies directly off the drive? Or would you need to copy a movie to your Mac Mini before playing?

I doubt it, but is wifi fast enough to play movies across? If so, you could stream the movies from the LaCie drive to all your other computers.

The drive is preorder right now for $299 for the 250GB version, $499 for the 400GB version. The 250GB drive seems like a decent value.

2. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    I played (read: stream) DivX movies across my home network when it was still base10T, but I guess it's all in the filesize and bitrate.
    All depends on how fast the connection/strong the signal is, doesn't it.
  3. KershMan macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2003
    VA, USA
    Standard MPEG2 streaming rate is 20Mbps, so a 100Mbps network would be fine. You won't run into issues until you try streaming HD content that is not encoded with MPEG2 compression.