New Late iMac 2012 has 2 Drives?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hackerwayne, Nov 24, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

So, recently i read a post somewhere online saying that the Fusion drive in Mac Mini consist of 2 drives, 1 HDD and 1 SSD, does that mean the iMac too? I know the 2011 model can easily be upgraded, how about the upcoming super slim iMac? Its a good news to me if it comes with 2 drives or probably 1 HDD and 1 SSD sticks (similar to those on MacBook Airs). What do you guys think? Will it come with 2 different drives?

2. macrumors regular

Yeah it will. It is a 128gb ssd and a 1tb hdd with the os on the ssd so you get fast boot times.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

So does that mean that i can get a stock 1TB iMac and toss in a 256GB SSD separately? Its much cheaper that way

4. macrumors newbie

imacanon

the ssd will not be specifically contain the os, but apps and files you use most.

The Fusion Drive is as said one enclosure with a 128gb ssd and a 1 tb 7200 rpm hdd inside.

It is not possible to interchange the ssd with a larger one, say a 256 gb one. if you want more ssd space, the 768gb ssd is the only other option if you dont wanna try your luck with replacing it yourself. iFixit will do a guide if its at all possible.

I myself wish that it was possible to BTO a 27 imac with 256gb sdd. the gap from Fusion Drive to the 768gb is to large, and the added cost is too high

hope this answers your question

5. macrumors regular

6. macrumors regular

I think everything I have read says it is 2 enclosures joined in software... I think some one even got Fusion Drive mode on an older mac enabled with some hacks and was able to fuse his own SSD and HDD into 1 Fusion Drive...

7. macrumors 65816

I was under the impression a fusion drive was simply a 1/3tb regular hard drive alongside 128gb of flash storage (like the kind they have in the rMBPs).

There is only room for 1 regular hard drive in the iMacs now.

8. macrumors 6502

I think that's the case.

9. Designer Dale, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Don't confuse the Fusion drive with the hybrid drives on the market like the Seagate Momentus XT. These hybrids have flash ram built into them to work like extended cache and can't be used for user decided storage. Fusion is two separate drives. One is a standard platter hd and the other is a " blade" style ssd like the ones OWC sell to upgrade the 2011/12 Retnia MacBook Pros. Go back through the keynote posted on the Apple website and freeze the screen when it shows a cutaway view of the 2012 iMac. The ssd is in the lower left center of the screen. There's a screenshot of it somewhere in the forums, but I lost track of it.

Dale

Found it...

Link to photo of 2012 iMac mother board

10. macrumors 6502

DIMEZ

the funny thing i you look on the back of the imac 2012 they had a place where the hard is located and another where the ssd. If it is easy to open and user accessible I believe you can install sad and have a hard drive for both. That would be awesome

----------

I just read the post above. exactly

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

Its confirmed a good news for us DIYers xD, it uses same type of SSD as what the 13" rMBP uses along side with a 2.5" 1TB drive. RAM and processor too is still upgradable provided you gotta remove the screen first.

12. macrumors 6502

DIMEZ

looks like you will have to order the fusion drive though...

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

I can order a 1TB standard iMac and add a SSD stick on it. Some might not have the connector soldered, but i have no problem soldering that in. Buying a cheapest 21.5" with i5 3330 and upgrade it to i7 3770 + 256GB SSD stick seems like a good deal

14. macrumors 68040

Apparently not all of the iMacs have the actual connector for the SSD. The one iFixit tore down (base model 2.7Ghz 21.5") did not have the connector soldered onto the logic board, although there was a place for it.

The high end (2.9Ghz) 21.5" model apparently does have the connector (link). This makes sense because that's the only 21.5" you can order with the Fusion option.

I'm not sure how easy it will be to solder that connector on, or even to find one of those connectors since it's proprietary. The contact points look really tiny: http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/ZTSiyt32BumalDcI.huge