New Lateral site = innovative nav.

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Nov 6, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    It's a rare day when I come across a site that really pushes the boundaries, even more so the boundaries of navigation, but I'm really liking the new Lateral site, some fresh thinking going down there.

Built in Java and Processing it's hugely intuitive and fluid, as well as being backed by a solid conceptual foundation and certainly handles the mass of information innovatively.

Rinky dink link

Thoughts? Like? Dislike?
  2. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    very interesting.

At first (and to some extent still) I disliked the aesthetic of the truncated text. The floating solution to this also somewhat unnerved me, but it grew on me after a minute.

I wasn't particualrily impressed with the color palatte used either. I admit, than I am in favor of sites that are more visually compelling, sometimes at the sake of navigability.

That said, I think it is a very interesting concept and I will be downloading Processing to try out what I can do with it. Seems to hold a lot of potential.

Thanks for the link.
  3. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    seems like quite a good idea, but to me it needs to be a little more visually interesting. Sure theres alot of info there but the text looks too harsh to be able too read easily.
  4. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I agree about the text. Not very readable as a font.

The concept is interesting, but perhaps more as a novelty than anything else. I didn't dislike the idea, but it was a little overwhelming more so than helpful at times.

Having said that, it does have potential.

Just was too crowded for me.

Thanks for the link iGav
  5. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I agree... too crowded.

But interesting, none-the-less.

6. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

Oct 23, 2004
    Phoenix AZ
    Innovation is good. This will set a bar for the rest of our industry, as well as inspire alot of rippings non the less... but I think it's a good design, just takes a little second to figure out how to use it. Good find.
  7. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Agree with several folks here who think it seemed a bit crowded, and the font choice is not particularly appealing or conducive to easy reading. All that aside, I love the architecture of the site, and think there is enormous potential here.

Thanks for the link!
  8. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    I feel as if my head may explode.

At 1600*1200 the site just stopped scrolling... too much at once. Mr. Nielsen would probably say it smacked of a designer who'd been experimenting with hallucinogens.
  9. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    If the interweb was designed to Jakob Nielsen's specifications, then it'd be a world devoid of creativity, originality, innovation, intuition, experimentation and emotion. :eek: :p
  10. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    This site is a nightmare!! It is pwning all of my tabs in Firefox.

I had MR open in one tab, and opened this page in another. Now that I've switched back to MR, the site has too! UGH! Look:

In fact, I can only see the "Reply to Topic" box when I'm typing ... I can't click a thing.

Attached Files:

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    ewww!....then again i'm not one for fancy navigation, or flash or anything. i liked the intarweb of 8 or 10 years ago, nothing fancy. eventhough i was only like 5 at the time...
  12. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    I don't like it. It's interesting for a concept, but It's too scrambled & crowded for my taste.
  13. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    Oh god- what will they think of next? It's like digging through my junk drawer to try to find something that I don't know I want yet.

There's obviously some serious coding going on there- and the concept is cool- but the useability gets a big fat '0'.Visually I don't mind it either- but after about three minutes there the easiest button to find was the big red one in the corner of my browser window.