new LCD burn in issue?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Xenious, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Xenious macrumors 6502a

I was changing my wallpaper today and i noticed that with no wallpaper if I pick a grey background color i can totally see outlines of the previous wallpaper that I have had up for about 24 hours. I also noticed a line from wallpaper i had up previously. In fact if I leave any window open then move it I can see residual images from it on the grey background. The residual from windows (or recent stuff) seems to fade out within a few minutes, but the others are staying.

This is one of the first few new style 23" metal displays to ship last july. Anyone seen a similar issue? I've got apple care so I'm good till 2007. I just hate being without a display for weeks while they ship it back to apple for repairs (apparently repair shops can't fix the new displays).

It has some dead pixels, the original uneven backlight issue and a dead firewire port so it does need to go in for repairs some time.

The top of the display gets fairly hot, but the ones in the Apple store seem just as warm. I thought that LCDs shouldn't burn in due to design so I'm confused.

--

Just to clarify what i mean by burn in. It is like a faint ghost of an image.

What is really weird is if i do a screen capture of that grey color (sorry I can't find a way to read what the actual RGB color is) and move that around the screen in a preview window over other windows it almost likes it has partial transparency (only if the other windows have been open for a while maybe 5 minutes).

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Wow, your display sounds wonky. I'd definitely call Apple as soon as possible, just to make sure you do it. (You know how procrastination works.. you say "I'll do it next week", then three years later...)

Depending on how close to an Apple Store you are, you could just bring it on in, and see if they'll repair it in-store. I'm not sure of how they do LCD repairs, but it could be all good. Maybe you could borrow a monitor from a friend?

3. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

You can try leaving a screensaver on for a day or two nonstop. That should reset all the pixels. Otherwise it's a defect.

4. Xenious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea i went through the whole display repair discussion when my firewire port died. They have to ship off all the new displays back to a central repair place that Apple contracts. I guess there is the chance they would just hand me a new one (haha yea right). I do have other displays I could use that are thankfully widescren (but only 20" - Dell). Just wanted to see if anyone else had seen similar issues.

5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Actually, I heard that LCDs actually DO burn in. It just takes a REALLY, REALLY long time. The solution (I heard of) is to unplug the LCD, and leave it off for twice the amount of time the LCD was continuously on.

Dunno... Try it

Hope it helps.

6. Xenious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Worth a shot. I have it set to power it off after about 35min, but my wireless keyboard is having interference issues and waking the display up.

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

That's correct. LCD panels can suffer from temporary "burn-in", and leaving the display off for a while will correct the problem. It's not quite the same thing as burn-in on a CRT, which is permanent, irreversible damage to the phosphor coating inside the screen.

8. Ozric macrumors newbie

ghost of an image

I purchased a reconditioned 23" Aluminum from Apple last month, and after the first one died within 5 days, I received a second one with serious pink hue problems and MAJOR ghosting. After an hour on the phone with apple, they said all they can do was fix it. I wanted out of the 23" because of all the problems I've heard. Anyway, they sent a box, I packed it, and when it returned, it was finally excellent. They replaced Part # 646-0264 APPLE, Q49, LCD, LM230W02(ST)(02)and #630-6942 APPLE, Q49 MLB REV C whatever that is. Hope this helps.