New LCD displays!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by forgiven, Dec 18, 2001.

1. forgiven macrumors newbie

I am thinking about purchasing a Quicksilver prior to MWSF...I am wondering if the LCDs that are available now with Apple could get any better...What could apple add to their lineup to make them any better...any hardware things that could be upgraded...or does Apple have the top of the line???

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

a past macworld issue says they are good

the apple lcd screens are getting to the point where they will be considered good enough for color critical work for grapic designers

right now, they are fine for most other applications

3. davester macrumors regular

davester

LCD panels definately for new iMac?

Seeing this thread prompted something to mind. Although Apple has ordered all these LCD panels, could we not be mistaking them for a possible 19" LCD screen? Is there a chance of this? Has anyone confirmed the size of the panels that Apple has ordered?

4. groov' macrumors regular

new LCD panels

here's some logic (I ought to be in the apple staff)

with al these 1.000.000 new 15 inch LCD consumer-iMacs coming, next year the rest of the line should be: 17, 19 and 22 inch

I would prefer 17 and 20 inch 4:3 screens though, and a 24 (or something) inch 3:2 screen. In that case everybody can dump their tv's.

5. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Seeing how there is huge, bulging hype for the new flat LCD iMac, it would be a huge marketing mistake and major letdown to Apple users everywhere if they werent what was being manufactured.

Could you imagine? Steve Jobs says, "I know everyone is expecting a new flat panel iMac," and as he opens the curtain, "But we made 19" monitors instead!" (cheesy letdown band playing)

c'mon. get real.

And yes, all reports indidcate they are 15 inch LCD panels.

And I cant think of any major improvements (except for size like groov mentions here) so go ahead and getchyer flat screen there partner.

I would like to see Apple move into the large LCD (or plasma) makret and make some Apple TV's. Incorporate that with your desktop, via cable internet, and you have an Apple computer/HDTV/DVD/Digital Cable/Home entertainment system. Now thats a digital hub.

[Edited by agreenster on 12-19-2001 at 09:05 AM]

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

there have been rumors that Apple will drop the current 15" LCD and introduce a 19"

arn

7. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Therefore.........

If they are dropping the 15 inch monitor, and are introducing a 19, and they just placed an order for a ton of 15 inchers, wouldnt that lead you to believe that they aint for monitors, but iMacs??

8. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

RE: agreenster

I want a "Apple computer/HDTV/DVD/Digital Cable/Home entertainment system"!!!!

9. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Me too!

That means goodbye to TiVo and everything else. If they could get support for that, like from Comcast, they could really have their digital hub that they are talking about. The Mac could be the base for home audio, (pre-amp) video, and all mulitmedia/internet use, and whatever else you could think of. Have multiple drives, one for systems and apps, one for document storage, and one dedicated to streaming media and music.