Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
New LCD's, where are they?

Yea. where the hell are they, are they coming are they being created,
are they in trouble at the design building, are they going to swivel?

Is there going to be a better contrast ratio, something more current
like 600:1

Is it better to buy a cinema display now or wait?
Or will the new LCD's have white spot issues like the Alubooks.

Is the factory that makes powerbook lcd's the same as the cinema displays?

Whats the wait factor here, its killing me.
I need to spend $1300. on a cinema display NOW!

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Grokgod said:
Whats the wait factor here, its killing me.
I need to spend $1300. on a cinema display NOW!

If you need to spend money and get a cinema display now, why wait. BUY IT!!!.

Why do people always wait? A newer version of whatever you want to buy will always be rumored about. When you need it, buy it. If you don't need it now, wait till you do and then buy it.

stoid

macrumors 601
The sooner you buy it, they sooner the new ones will come out. So go ahead and make the plunge. Take one for the team!

Seriously though, you might want to hold off until WWDC if you can. If nothing is announced then, get one.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
If you can wait for the WWDC, I'd just do that. There's a chance new displays will be announced there.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Definetely wait until WWDC. If they aren't announced then, then go ahead and buy one. The reason they've been taking so long is because they have warehouses full of them and can't get rid of them. My guess is, if they announce new ones at WWDC, the old ones will be sold for a song. If you really want to get rid of that $1300 though, I guess I could do you the favor of taking it off your hands... ;)

JOD8FY

thrillz3

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2004
I got the 17" display to go with my new 12" PB the other day. I figured, why wait, I want it now, and I'm only getting bottom of the line anyway.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
~Grapes911!

Have you lost consciousness!

Why wait, DUH!? ~

Lets see, why a short wait for upcoming new LCD's would be an intelligent choice.

Higher contrast ratio, crucial for high end graphics!

The new swivel form factor! as opposed to the leg behind the wall adjustment system, like a bad pirate with a fat bum leg.

Lower cost on older models when new ones come out.
A penny saved is a penny earned.

Did I say higher contrast models that would render the older units obselete.

Buying any computer items means making certain that you buy at the tip of the wave before the crash, to get the most use out of your unit.

What i wanted to see if anyone had any information that would insinuate that update are more than 6 months out?

Or if anyone knew about the LCD problems from the ALUbook being translated to the new cinema display, are the made in the same factory?

ETc,, need information,, puhlease.

Bigheadache

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
Normally I'd agree that waiting is a pointless exercise, there is always something better on the horizon.

However, with the LCDs, the technology has progressed alot since Apple released their displays so it might be worthwhile seeing if Apple use new panels. Samsung and Benq have just announced 12ms 19inch panels according to Digitimes. Maybe Apple can source <20ms panels for some of the larger sizes as well.

If you were to buy an Apple LCD now, you'd probably be about 2-3 generations behind.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Can't wait - I mean I'll Wait!

Bigheadache said:
Normally I'd agree that waiting is a pointless exercise, there is always something better on the horizon.
One of those 256MB ATI X800's would work well with a new 23" Hi-Def Apple display, don't ya think? My (recently paid off) Apple credit line won't stay at $0 for long I'm afraid :p

Dave Cook | G5 Dual 2Ghz | Viewsonic P225fb | Bose Companion 3 Speakers

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Grokgod said:
Have you lost consciousness!

Why wait, DUH!? ~

Lets see, why a short wait for upcoming new LCD's would be an intelligent choice.

Higher contrast ratio, crucial for high end graphics!

The new swivel form factor! as opposed to the leg behind the wall adjustment system, like a bad pirate with a fat bum leg.

Lower cost on older models when new ones come out.
A penny saved is a penny earned.

Did I say higher contrast models that would render the older units obselete.

Buying any computer items means making certain that you buy at the tip of the wave before the crash, to get the most use out of your unit.

What i wanted to see if anyone had any information that would insinuate that update are more than 6 months out?

Or if anyone knew about the LCD problems from the ALUbook being translated to the new cinema display, are the made in the same factory?

ETc,, need information,, puhlease.

I think you should wait as long as possible to buy new computer stuff. But...You said it was killing you. I figured that ment your current monitor was broken or something. Like i said before. If you really need one, but it now, why wait. If you don't need it now, wait for the new ones to come out.

Coolvirus007

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2004
Tokyo
There are many LCDs in Japan (i.e. Sony) are CRYSTAL CLEAR!. Its like comparing glossy paper printing vs. normal paper - so I hope the new screens will be like that.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Yesterday Samsung released their new line of lcds with "Sleek Designs and Slim Footprints," they brag on the zdnet page at how slim the bezels are.... is it possible that this new line will make it to our mac desktops?

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-5200580.html

Featuring the new 710T and 910T line of digital lcds...

b2c_m_710t-black.jpg

http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=DS17BSDSV

Just a guess.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Grokgod said:
But i have to have WIDESCREEN!
Dear Strongbad,
According to the Znet article:
Another new Samsung product is a widescreen 17-inch screen with a built-in TV tuner designed for business and home use.

Now... wouldn't it be great if this line of screen (aloing with a 19, 23, and 30) was used by Apple. Including, of course, a HD tuner and the new "iTV" for TiVo like application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.