Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be buying a new Nikon Lens?

• Nikon 200-500mm f5.6 ED VR AF-S SLR Lens

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Nikon 24-70mm f2.8E AF-S ED VR SLR Lens

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Nikon 24mm f1.8G AF-S ED SLR Lens

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR lens

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Nikon 500mm f/4E AF-S Nikkor FL ED VR Lens

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Nikon 600mm f/4E AF-S Nikkor FL ED VR Lens

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So our friends at Nikon have been busy lately haven't they? Anybody interested in any of the new line up?
The new 24-70 mm looks nice, but as an owner of the current 24-70 f2.8 I'm not sure the upgrade would be worth it. Especially as its heavier!
Now the 200-500 f5.6 looks tempting. Especially at the price point. £1179 at launch, but that could be a sub £1000 lens in a few months.
I've added a few of the other newer lenses, but they are well out of my price range!
So discuss!

hltjr

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009
close to la, ca.
So our friends at Nikon have been busy lately haven't they? Anybody interested in any of the new line up?
The new 24-70 mm looks nice, but as an owner of the current 24-70 f2.8 I'm not sure the upgrade would be worth it. Especially as its heavier!
Now the 200-500 f5.6 looks tempting. Especially at the price point. £1179 at launch, but that could be a sub £1000 lens in a few months.
I've added a few of the other newer lenses, but they are well out of my price range!
So discuss!
I've been waiting for an updated 24-70 since I purchased my D800 years ago. I'm happy to see this new lens, even though the current lens is great. I'v rented it plenty of times, but now it's time to pull the trigger.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
I'd love to be the owner of a 24-70 but that price is hard to justify at the moment. The 3rd party 24-70s are getting pretty compelling. I'll certainly watch the price of the now previous 24-70 to see if it comes down on the used market.

I agree that the 200-500 is very tempting. If I were living somewhere that I would do more wildlife photography then it would be on the list with the 150-600 offerings. Those aren't lenses I'm going to buy just to go on vacation with though.

I'm interested in the 24 f1.8 as well. Not going to run out and buy one I'd just like to find a wide prime that will significantly outperform my 24-85 f2.8. And I mean by a wide enough margin that I'm willing to shell out the bucks for it. I've rented a Zeiss 21mm f2.8 Distagon for an upcoming trip and I'm pretty excited to try it out.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
I'd love to be the owner of a 24-70 but that price is hard to justify at the moment. The 3rd party 24-70s are getting pretty compelling. I'll certainly watch the price of the now previous 24-70 to see if it comes down on the used market.

I agree that the 200-500 is very tempting. If I were living somewhere that I would do more wildlife photography then it would be on the list with the 150-600 offerings. Those aren't lenses I'm going to buy just to go on vacation with though.

I'm interested in the 24 f1.8 as well. Not going to run out and buy one I'd just like to find a wide prime that will significantly outperform my 24-85 f2.8. And I mean by a wide enough margin that I'm willing to shell out the bucks for it. I've rented a Zeiss 21mm f2.8 Distagon for an upcoming trip and I'm pretty excited to try it out.

I have the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 with vibration reduction and am quite pleased with it. Reasonable weight and great performance. A couple of these look really interesting though.

inplainview

macrumors member
May 3, 2014
Not at all really impressed by the new 24-70mm. Yes the VR is good but usually at these focal lengths your subject is not moving around and if you are using say a D4, or D4S, or D810 (which I am using), higher ISO's will not be a problem to capture the action. What is really disappointing if the fact that the lens gained significant weight and size. It's larger than the new 300mm, PF, f/4 (I love this lens. Best purchase ever) and heavier. Also they jumped to 82mm diameter filter size. I have 77mm Lee's. I am sure it is a great lens but I can't see justifying the price just for VR that is in most cases not needed.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Tbh when I bought my lenses, I thought the older 24-70 mm would be my favourite. However unless I'm restricting myself to just one lens on a trip (and I rarely do), I find it's not wide enough (unlike my 14-24 mm) or long enough (like either my 70-300 or 70-200).

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Not at all really impressed by the new 24-70mm. Yes the VR is good but usually at these focal lengths your subject is not moving around and if you are using say a D4, or D4S, or D810 (which I am using), higher ISO's will not be a problem to capture the action. What is really disappointing if the fact that the lens gained significant weight and size. It's larger than the new 300mm, PF, f/4 (I love this lens. Best purchase ever) and heavier. Also they jumped to 82mm diameter filter size. I have 77mm Lee's. I am sure it is a great lens but I can't see justifying the price just for VR that is in most cases not needed.

My thoughts exactly. I suspect few people will upgrade an existing 24 to 70 f/2.8. You may even see people buying the older version over the new just for the cost and weight saving. Can't blame Nikon for this though as so many people have been asking for a VR version of this lens years and they delivered.

~ Peter

inplainview

macrumors member
May 3, 2014
Tbh when I bought my lenses, I thought the older 24-70 mm would be my favourite. However unless I'm restricting myself to just one lens on a trip (and I rarely do), I find it's not wide enough (unlike my 14-24 mm) or long enough (like either my 70-300 or 70-200).

I got rid of the 14-24mm. Spectral lens but almost impractical to use except for the rare occasion. I picked up the new 20mm, and find it much more practical to use. Yes, you lose a bit over the 14mm, but the 20mm takes 77mm filters and you get that extra stop for low light.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I got rid of the 14-24mm. Spectral lens but almost impractical to use except for the rare occasion. I picked up the new 20mm, and find it much more practical to use. Yes, you lose a bit over the 14mm, but the 20mm takes 77mm filters and you get that extra stop for low light.
Probably the lens I use the most, followed by the 105 macro. Horses for courses and all that.

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
I own the current 24-70 and, while VR would be nice, I definitely won't be upgrading. The current non-VR is still a spectacular piece of glass. The new one will have to be absolutely mind-blowing to justify the 33% 50% jump in price (£1245 for non-VR vs £1845 for VR).

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I own the current 24-70 and, while VR would be nice, I definitely won't be upgrading. The current non-VR is still a spectacular piece of glass. The new one will have to be absolutely mind-blowing to justify the 33% jump in price (£1245 for non-VR vs £1845 for VR).

See when I started out paying attention to photography 2-3 years ago, I thought £600 for a lens was offensive. Then I got into L series Canon glass. I then started thinking £1200 plus was offensive. Then came Leica and now my "you are having a laugh" threshold is too high... I need to dial it back this LensLust is going to kill me!

Reactions: swordio777

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
See when I started out paying attention to photography 2-3 years ago, I thought £600 for a lens was offensive. Then I got into L series Canon glass. I then started thinking £1200 plus was offensive. Then came Leica and now my "you are having a laugh" threshold is too high... I need to dial it back this LensLust is going to kill me!

Yes - it's a slippery slope, but I think the reframing of "expensive" happens to all of us ;)

Not saying £1850 is too much, I'm just not convinced the new one will be 50% better (I hope I'm right, otherwise I might feel compelled to upgrade :confused:)

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Answer to that question though is usually "you have got loads of lenses. What do you need another one for?"

Life and marriage is all about give and take Ken. I do find it helps just a bit if I try to resist from making comments like "you have got loads of shoes. What do you need another pair for?" However, this explains a footware collection that Imelda Marcos would be proud of. :eek:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yes - it's a slippery slope, but I think the reframing of "expensive" happens to all of us ;)

Not saying £1850 is too much, I'm just not convinced the new one will be 50% better (I hope I'm right, otherwise I might feel compelled to upgrade :confused:)
Is any lens really 50% better than an older or cheaper one? An even heavier 24-70 mm will still feel too short and not wide enough to me. Yes VR is nice, but you can push the ISO much higher on cameras like my D750, so it becomes less of an issue. Especially when you throw in DXO software.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Life and marriage is all about give and take Ken. I do find it helps just a bit if I try to resist from making comments like "you have got loads of shoes. What do you need another pair for?" However, this explains a footware collection that Imelda Marcos would be proud of. :eek:
Your on dangerous ground there mate. People have got divorced for less.

Reactions: kenoh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.