New Life Church and Ted Haggard=scary

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Oct 28, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Saw this lovely bit of "Christian" tolerance on TV tonight. Wow, this guy totally says he doesn't want a theocracy and turns around and gives the White House advice against abortion and gay marriage. No, he doesn't want to control anybody's lives. :rolleyes: I must confess, I'm shaking with anger after seeing this. It's all so clever and thinly veiled. Ted, keep your "values" out of my life please. Is anyone telling you to have a gay marriage? No. Don't tell me I can't.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9804232/?page=3

2. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- I thought his one might get people talking. Guess not.

3. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

This is what's screwed about America. These ignorant ultraconservative fundamentalists have no place in government.

The Treaty of Tripoli states that the USA is not founded on Christianity. This current Bush administration clearly violates the seperation of church/state. Really , do you theists want a government in your religion? :rolleyes:

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

According to this show, they do. What kills me too is that they see themselves as victims. Unbelievable. When's the last time someone beat the crap out of someone and left them for dead tied to fence because they were Christian?

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians#Hindu_persecution_of_Christians

I agree that we don't need a theocracy... but I disagree that all Christians are somehow bent on power. Virtually every religion has adherents who commit atrocities against those of other faiths.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm- I didn't see any mention of this happening in the US. And the article refers to a specific group of Christians, not all. So your point is?

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

My point is, you asked the question "When's the last time someone beat the crap out of someone and left them for dead tied to fence because they were Christian?" I answered it.

(Although there were no fences involved, the net effect was just as bad.)

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Then I should have tacked on "in the US" because that's what the show, and I are discussing. That's why I fail to see your point. Sorry for the confusion.

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Again- we're are talking about a particular group of evangelicals in the US! Not what is happening in other countries! And not about ALL Christians. Read the article please!

11. tristan macrumors 6502a

And also read the first amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

It's pretty obvious that you're supposed to leave your religion at home when you head to government service. The problem is that religion is very hard to separate their morals, and that's their back door. "We don't want to change your religion - we just want to legislate morality. And by the way, our morality comes from our religion."

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't think anyone is surprised by stuff like this anymore. That kinda makes me sad a little.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- complacency has taken over. The slippery slope is just getting steeper.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep. It's "you'll live by our rules, even if you're not religious."

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It's not so much complacency, it's just that most of us recognize a fringe wacko when we see one. (Well, I'm speaking hypothetically, since I didn't actually watch the video that you linked to.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm no more worried about what this joker has to say than the African-American guy in that video that someone posted the other day (the guy who advocated killing all white people). Sure, there are small groups of people who may advocate what these people are saying, but they aren't in the majority.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- but the difference is, this wacko has a direct line to the White House. Otherwise, I wouldn't care. Read the article.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dateline did a recent show on the Evangelicals and their impact on politics. What boiled my blood was when one of these people had the gaul to say that they did not have a Pope to reckon to. As a Catholic by upbringing in the US, I was taught the separation of Church and State. That my religious beliefs may run counter to the State, but as long as I stood for what God wanted from me I was in good stead.

It was through college and history classes that I realized God and country and written by the victors. That slavery was condoned by the Bible, and at the same point condemned.

I was taught of a loving God, but the Bible is filled with a vengeful God. So who is right? I am betting on the loving God, that would not forsake his children.

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

with something like this:

And our given climate of Evangelism with in our administration, there is little doubt about the distrust of the US abroad at this point.

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And some today would still support slavery since as long as we treated slaves fairly and "compassionately" then all is OK with the Bible. Unless you are talking of the slavery of the Hebrews by the Egyptians.

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm- that's the same show I'm referring to in this thread. :)

21. tristan macrumors 6502a

There's a common morality we all basically agree on and legislate, like laws against murder, rape, theft, child/spousal abuse, vandalism, fraud, etc. I have no complaints against that, and it's all generally based on the right to life, liberty, and personal property. It's when the religious types attempt to extend that government-enforced morality to fit their beliefs that I have an objection. Next thing you know, women can't drive because Allah said so.

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Though you and I are on the same page, we came away with differnent views from that show. It still makes me shudder that the few can have such an impact on the few. It seems to be the new age of the Nazi Party all over again... :(

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly.

24. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes...all dressed up with a smile.