Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
london
The other day I turned on my 14" iBook G3 800 and after starting up normally the screen flickered wildly for a few seconds and then froze on the desktop screen but nothing would work. I panicked because i'm a designer and it had been a while since I backed up, but managed to get it to come back on and work long enough to burn a couple of cds (thank god), and then it happened again.

Now when I turn it on it sort of works for a bit (periods vary between 30 secs and 30 minutes) and then it does the flickery thing and freezes. Sometimes the image stays frozen on the screen and sometimes it goes black. I can make it come back if I slap it on the left hand surface left of the trackpad, suggesting it's some sort of loose connection, however once it's happened the system is frozen dead and I have to restart anyway.

My question is- does anyone think it might be possible to fix this without replacing the logic board (I'm not afraid of taking the book apart, but would like to know what my chances of success are before I do it...). If it does require a new board, does anyone know a good place in the UK to get replacement parts that don't cost ridiculous amounts of money?

Any help greatly appreciated!

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
It does sound like a dying logic board - especially if the machine seems to be freezing. Otherwise it could be the inverter or backlight. Logic boards aren't cheap (at least £200) and you may be better off getting a new G4 ibook. Maybe check out the refurb store on the online Apple UK store. It's open on wednesdays at 10am - they sometimes have ibooks. You'd notice the difference between a new G4 ibook and a G3 ibook.

Is the machine less that three years old? You may qualify for a repair under the logic board repair program. Check the Apple website.

Back-up everything you can...

If things get REALLY bad and you can't back up you could pull the G3 ibooks harddrive and stick it in a firewire case to get anything important off it. That would cost money for a firewire case but maybe your data is worth more. It usually is...

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I just dropped off my 12" ibook G3 for its second logic board replacement. Look up the extended logic board replacement program on the apple site; they should do it for free.

I'm really sick of this whole thing. This is my second LB in ~four months.

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
london
munckee said:
I just dropped off my 12" ibook G3 for its second logic board replacement. Look up the extended logic board replacement program on the apple site; they should do it for free.

I'm really sick of this whole thing. This is my second LB in ~four months.

I'm reading an awful lot of bad things about ibooks- I bought mine second hand but it's been nothing but trouble- the DVD section stopped working in the combo drive and then the ethernet port died and now this. Don't they market the ibook as rugged and durable, aimed at students etc?

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll checkout the replacement program.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
londonweb said:
I'm reading an awful lot of bad things about ibooks- I bought mine second hand but it's been nothing but trouble- the DVD section stopped working in the combo drive and then the ethernet port died and now this. Don't they market the ibook as rugged and durable, aimed at students etc?

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll checkout the replacement program.

iBooks are awesome, I think they're very reliable. Remember the psychology of hearing bad things, and no good things. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.