New Longhorn Feature!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 000111one111000, Mar 26, 2005.

1. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

Doesn't Apple already have a patent for this?

[​IMG]

enoch

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't want to sound stupid, but what? I don't see what you are referring to?

3. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Why yes, Apple owns a patent for that feature, even though it has not ever been used in shipping Apple product.

4. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Try this.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The highlighted "Steve" documents. It was that rumored Panther feature called Piles or something.

6. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

7. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Dont wanna sound stupid but, where did you get screen shot of longhorn is out yet?

8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I'm not sure, but it looks like it shows how many files are in the folder.

Can anyone clarify?
    Edit:
    Sounds like an awesome feature that would look great in OpenGL.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

It came from here.

10. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Does anyone notice that MS is stepping away from the long standing Windows look to more Mac look. Notice the search box? And it certainly doesn't look easier to use.

11. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

Well this feature has a lot to do with WinFS and was wanted to be put in winFS to begin with. Apple spotlight is a very water down verson of what winFS will be in the end. When MS took on WinFS they bit off more than they could chew and it been in deveplment since I think windows95. The current stuff you see coming out is just one element of what winFS potention is goign to be. Microsoft is taking elements out of winFS and putting them in to the its OS to help them out. winFS is a very huge thing to take on and is not very easy. When they came up with the idea there where no computer in existen that had the power to run it.

12. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Apple may have a patent for it... but it's hardly rocket science, as they say. The difference between stacks or piles and a folder is pretty negligible. If you were apple, would you go chasing after them for it? I sure wouldn't bother.

13. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

What's so great about WinFS?

14. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Sorry but I dont get what the hell your talking about.

Looks like a regular folder, with an icon, and when you click it its being highlighted...

15. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Since you asked so politely... the "icon" is not a single file, but a "stack" of files. So the one highlighted are say, 5 of Steve's files. I guess you do something like double click it to reveal all five. In the meantime, it keeps your folder or desktop neat.

Edit: If you look at the screenshot, it's actually 62 documents (files).

16. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Here's a link to a WMV of Bill Gates describing what WinFS is all about.

EDIT:
    From http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/longhorn.asp

17. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

SQL Server as your file system. I am not sure why it has taken so long since it will use existing technology. Oracle created their own file system (IFS) based on database technology years ago. Benefits would be you can recover your system without corruption from a power shutdown, hot backups while files are in use, speed, better filtering technology, better searching and is extendable, device independence, can find files as easily remotely as locally. I wonder what the problems could have been besides backward compatibility with tools like Norton Utilities.

18. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Does Apple have any technology like this that they can leverage in a future version of Mac OS X?

19. rand() macrumors regular

Have you seen the original WWDC demo's of Spotlight? This is exactly what they are doing. If I recall correctly, Spotlight is based upon SQLite. The difference is that with Apple's solution it isn't directly built into the filesystem.

But once you index your volumes for Spotlight the first time, the OS itself will keep up with your changes, additions, and deletions of files, regardless (I believe) of the filesystem you're using on the volume. This enables things like Smart Folders (read: Piles or Stacks), and incredible search technology.

Feel free to correct if my memory is wrong. :)

-rand()

20. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Apple's hybrid solution probably gives the best of both worlds and in the shortest time. Keeping the database separate from the filesystem may be good enough.