New Longhorn looks like Brushed Metal

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaid, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Zaid macrumors 6502

Have a look at some of the screenshots from the latest (alpha??) release of Longhorn. Remind you of anything?

Even the selected icons are no longer tinted, but have a highlight a la panther. (First pic on page 2)

but of course its not copying, besides its called 'slate' not brushed metal :)

Page 1

Page 2

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: New Longhorn looks like Brushed Metal

i really don't think this is copying. this is really more of an adaptation of their own butt-ugly fisherprice style. they made the gradients go left-right instead of up-down in some places, and changed the colors, but the style is not an apple rip at all, if you ask me. if anything, apple is copying XP's gradient style with Panther. MS beat apple to the whole "gradient (rather than pinstriped) titlebars."

longhorn is still fugly. it may have taken cues from apple in its quartz-style implementation, but the look is singularly MS and singularly ugly.

3. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Not the right fourm but anyway, chances are when the several versions of longhorn are released they will lokk nothing like what is being displayed at this time.

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

a little less fischer price like, and closer to mac os look they are obviosly going after

if apple made an os with a country blue motif with cows as icons, you know microsoft would follow suit and copy the look and feel of it

i think longhorn will probably be called windows 2004 since they don't have the most imaginative naming convention

5. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i have a sneaky feeling it may be windows 2005 or 2006, myself...

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Its uglier that apple's brushed metal.

Brushed metal in general is ugly IMO. Why apple and MS would go for it is beyond me.

scem0

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

2006 would be way too late...microsoft wants to crank stuff out and get on the market place first and make the money, no matter how bad the initial release it

8. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

And wouldn't "Windows 2005" allow for media hype similar to when the "revolutionary" Windows 95 was released? If I remember correctly, people who didn't even have computers bought Windows 95 because of all the hype. . .

9. howard macrumors 68020

howard

jeez, i forgot how incredibley busy windows is...there just so much there it gives you a headache, and you don't need any of it

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

they're already way too late.

11. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Microsoft needs to come out with something next year at the earlyist to help the Athlon 64 out. My guess is 3rd Q or early 4th Q.

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I thought Microsoft already is coming out with a special 64-bit version of Windows first half of next year similar to Panther in how it will have the libraries and APIs to take advantage of the AMD's 64-bit nature?

13. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I think that in true microsoft form, they'll decide that the "development name was so popular, we decided to keep it"....

sound familiar?

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They released that WindowsXP Media Edition or whatever its called. It looks quite different from plain ol' XP, and it looks much better too. Its not very useful, and I think its slower to use because of how the menus and options are laid out, but I can see how computer dummies would like it. :eek:

Oh, and I think the Longhorn look is a huuuuge ripoff of Apple. They took all the cues that makes Apple computers simple to use, and simply rearranged the way its laid out on the screen, the icons, etc. However, the useful properties of OSX are there. So no, its not a replica of OSX, but lets face it........Microsoft can't think on it's own.

Oh whatever. It looks quite nice. I'll give them that, but a metallic look.....hmmmm. :mad:

15. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I like the new Avactor PB G5:) Yeah I heard that too, called WoW64 (windows on Windows 64) or something, to use 64-bit extensions etc... in other words you can load both 64-bit and 32-bit apps onto the same opperating system, without hassel.

Does anyone really know what longhorn is?? It's a name that's been floating around for years.

16. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

yeah man, longhorn is the code name for the new windows operating system.

17. Edot macrumors 6502

IE improvements?

Funny they now decide to include a download manager in IE. This has been a feature of IE 5 for Mac for years!!:eek: I got a laugh out of that one.

18. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Funny thing is, though, Mac versions of many of Microsoft's software usually turn out to be better than the PC counterparts. Isn't that odd?

19. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Not likely.
    Whistler is now XP.
    Cairo is Windows 2000.
    Rapier was Pocket PC 2002/
    Chicago was Windows 95.
    Millennium was Windows ME.
    Memphis was Windows 98
    Janus was windows 3.11

No history at all of keeping the code names and honestly. Woul you want an OS named Longhorn?!?!

20. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

ME stood for Millennium Edition, though. And no, I would not want the name of my OS to mean a cow meant to be slaughtered to be devoured by carnivores. Not to mention it seems to foreshadow the bloat of the OS since the pictures I've seen of "long-horned" cows were of rather large, slow, and ugly creatures.

But hey...if Windows users want to be associated with that, they are more than welcomed to. :D

21. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i have this build installed and it is not copying. its called slate and is a dark gray, while brushed metal looks exactly what its called...brushed metal.

iJon

22. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Thank you. I'm sorry but I have to call this as I see it. Pathetic. Anytime Microsoft does anything its auto pilot to the conclusion that they are copying and while its a given that they do, do this the day people start complaining about Microsoft copying a color is the day Mac users have to admit that the white used in Apple hardware and software is a copy of the old NBC test pattern white. This copy crap HAS to end. This kind of thing goes back and forth all the time. Microsoft brought fast user switching to the PC and OS X follows. I don’t see the entire Windows world up in arms over it.
    I suppose Longhorn could go back to monochrome but then they could be bitched at for copying Mac OS 1 or 2. :rolleyes:

23. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Actually, when I look at the Start bar I am reminded of the Hi-Tech theme menus in Copland. Anyone else notice this?

Dan

24. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Thank you! Somebody who has a fair view for once.

Apple has copied from Microsoft and other companies, and vice versa. That's just the way it is. It is natural to go into somebody's house, see something you like, and buy something similar to it or a replica of it. The copying is a natural act of the evolution of the OS, or the computer, or the computer peripherals. I still think it should be minimized, but nobody will be able to keep apple, microsoft, and other companies from copying one another.

scem0

25. Photorun macrumors 65816

Photorun

Yeah well M$'s crap, imitation or not, still way fugly!