New Mac Addict

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Acoustica, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Acoustica macrumors member

Hi there everyone! As a first time Mac user, I must say this site has been one of the reasons I've gone ahead and done a complete transfiguration from Wintel to Apple. The build-up on this site to these new PowerBooks/iBooks kept me coming back every few hours to see if any new developments were to be had and I must say it was a rather exciting few weeks. Even the lows were exciting, when Tuesdays would pass without so much as a mouse firmware update. ;)

Come Monday morning around 11am I made the call to 1-800-MY-APPLE and placed an order with a great CSR named Evan for the following:

PowerBook 1.5GHz (15.2" TFT)
    • 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 with 128MB Graphics Memory
    • 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
    • 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
    • SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    Rechargeable Battery - 15-inch Aluminum PowerBook G4
    APP for PowerBook (w/ or w/o display) - Enrollment Kit
    .Mac (Retail Box)
    GarageBand Jam Pack
    Apple 4x DVD-R media kit (5 pack)
    Professional 15 Shoulder Case by Brenthaven

I also figured I would need something good to listen to GarageBand with so I went over to Amazon and got myself some Sennheiser HD280 Silver Pro Headphones. I as well went over to memorytogo.com and got an additional 512MB memory module to keep everything running smoothly. Needless to say, I'm a very excited individual at this point. Everything but the headphones and the PowerBook with extra battery have arrived, I feel like I have the nicest tires someone could buy, but the Porsche hasn't been delivered yet. :D

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself to the community and I wanted to thank everyone for helping me make my decision to take a bite out of the Apple and shut all the Windows, it's time to turn up the heat.

2. Acoustica thread starter macrumors member

Figured I want to display my beautiful, soon to be delivered PowerBook as my signature, I can't wait!

3. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Then let me be the first to welcome you to the fold, Acoustica. Some of us are a bit scary to the newcomers, especially when we really get into arguments, but don't let that fool you. The only person you really need to hate is Dont Hurt Me. ;)

I'm kidding, guys. Don't hurt me, either.

Incidentally, you're just about to take delivery of a desktop that likely is faster than my everyday desktop. I admit, I'm not the type who can typically buy top of the line in Apple's gear, but I think you made a nice, solid choice in machines. If you need help with your transition, don't worry about it. Just drop by the forums and ask in the appropriate places, and I'm sure people will do their best to lend a hand.

4. Acoustica thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the welcome! I was lucky enough to have been saving for, shocking as this may seem, an Alienware Ozma 4200 Digital Audio Workstation. I'm just getting into sound engineering and production at my school and wanted something that would allow me to work with ProTools and perhaps let me create a bit of my own compositions. I overheard someone in my audio recording class talking about a program called GarageBand and it sounded really interesting so I jumped on the computer, googled and lo and behold, it was a Mac product! I was at a bit hesitant because I had used Wintel boxes all my life but after reading about it and then exploring Apple's website a bit, I started to see why the people I knew who owned Macs loved them so much (not to mention that ProTools works well with Macs too is seems!). I wanted to see what people beyond my friends thought as well so I searched again this time for a website where I could see Mac users in action, which brought me here, and as they say, the rest is history. :)

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

welcome Acoustica, you're going to have heaps of fun. :)

and glad to hear you've shut all the Windows, because just remember: bugs fly through open Windows. :p ;) :D

6. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Especially if they break as soon as they're opened. :p