New Mac: all I want to migrate is my Keychain

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nagromme, Sep 29, 2006.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I'm finally going PPC -> Intel and I don't want to migrate my whole system from the old machine. I want a fresh start. I'll drag apps and prefs over as needed.

But I want my KEYCHAIN working exactly as is, and I don't want multiple keychains. I just want the login keychain of the new machine to have my old passwords in it and WORK :)

Is there a good way to do that?

TIA!

2. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

I'm with you on the clean install issue so I'll be doing the same when Apple finally gets around to releasing the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros. In the meantime, I think the information that you want can be found here. Seems simple enough.

3. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Ah--a little more complex than I hoped, but not bad at all :) Thanks!

They are talking about backup and restore, so hopefully a migration works as easily. I will make sure I use the same login name on the new machine, in case that matters.

I only hope it LETS you disable the login keychain, so that you can replace it. And I'm not sure what they mean by "deselecting" a keychain... it's not a selection list, and the checkbox has to do with sharing. Do they mean delete with the - button?

(That same page has methods for moving just about anything else one might want too.)

4. elbirth macrumors 65816

Restoring the keychain has been a piece of cake for me.... maybe it has to do with me using the same account names, I don't know.

But to restore it, all I've done is take the backup of my keychain file (I just use the default login.keychain in ~/Library/Keychains) and copied it to that same location on the new computer/new install. Then open Keychain Access and there it is.

5. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

That's kind of what I planned to do. But maybe I'll use Apple's method just to be extra safe.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The super quick way worked fine for me too, but again I used the same user name on both.

7. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Ditto--I just copied the file over. (I was surprised I even COULD delete the default login keychain while logged it! But I could, and replaced it with the one from my old machine.)

Safari has been giving me a lot of "keychain updated" messages, which hopefully will not continue... and assuming that's not a symptom of anything, it worked fine.

I DID use the same name/pass, which is probably important.