Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kirk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Norway
Hi!

I’m getting my new Mac today (hopefully . . .) :rolleyes: and I would like to transfer some of the settings from my old Mac (running Panther) in programs like Mail, iTunes and Safari. Can I just copy my library folders (mail, safari) and copy my iTunes Music folder and everything will work fine, or are there anything else I should know before I try? :)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Kirk said:
Hi!

I’m getting my new Mac today (hopefully . . .) :rolleyes: and I would like to transfer some of the settings from my old Mac (running Panther) in programs like Mail, iTunes and Safari. Can I just copy my library folders (mail, safari) and copy my iTunes Music folder and everything will work fine, or are there anything else I should know before I try? :)
If you copy the files and folders with their proper structure, your Mail, iTunes, Safari, and iPhoto should see them as you expect. You will have to find your old Bookmarks file for Safari. You will have to authorize your new computer for iTunes. For such things as ISP server URLs, passwords, and such like, it is more convenient [for me] to simply type them into the new computer. If you have any copy protected software, then you are going to have to call-up the vendor(s) and beg for new authorization codes.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Kirk said:
Hi!

I would copy over your entire home directory to make sure all settings are transferred. I would also recommend that you don't change your short user name when you do this, otherwise your new Mac may get confused and not correctly load the copied settings. Doing this will also transfer all preferences you had for all your applications, as well as other things like Safari's bookmarks and caches. If you use Classic, I'd check the box in Classic preferences that says "use Classic preferences from your home" before copying so that your Classic settings get transferred too.

Kirk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Norway
Thanks guys!

I’ve got my new eMac now (cool!) and will see what I need to copy. I took a Carbon Copy of the old Mac to an external Harddrive, so I think I’m just going to copy the files that I want when I need them.
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.