New Mac. How to migrate windows with Parallels without buying new OS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by radman2020, Nov 30, 2012.

1. radman2020
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I want to move my windows 7 operating system over to my new mac without buying a new copy. I have tons of programs...including stuff that slows the thing down that I don't want to transfer.

Parallels tech support says I can migrate it over but doesn't seem to know if there is a way to do that without bringing over all the crap. Can I bring it over, then format back to the OS? or maybe bring it over and upgrade to windows 8 which has an option to upgrade to clean OS?

Any ideas or experience?

thanks!!

2. maflynn
    Expand Collapse

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you using bootcamp or a virtual file? For me if I move the directory for VMware over to a machine it does what you're asking.

3. radman2020
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

4. maflynn
    Expand Collapse

maflynn

Staff Member

By default if you're using parallel's virtual machine and not bootcamp with parallels then that virtual machine is stored here /<Username>/Documents/Parallels/

Move that folder to the new machine, install parallels and double click the file within the folder and it will start up

5. radman2020
    Expand Collapse

I am a bit confused.

I currently have a Windows 7 PC. I bought a new 2012 Imac and want to move the Windows operating system over to use in Parallels for a few Windows programs that I still need.

6. maflynn
    Expand Collapse

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry, I thought you were talking about moving an existing parallels virtual machine to a new Mac.

Do a search on Using Parallels Transporter on parallel's site. I believe that utility allows you to import a physical computer to a virtual machine.

7. takeshi74
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

First verify that you can per MS's licensing agreement for the copy of Windows 7. Certain editions cannot be migrated IIRC.

8. radman2020
    Expand Collapse

How can you check this?