New MAC laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mcanadiensfan71, Mar 15, 2007.

1. mcanadiensfan71 macrumors newbie

Im thinking of buying a new laptop. Is a new mac lap top going to come out in 2007. If so, please give me a general area of when it will come out and a link if possible

2. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Santa Rosa platform will come out in May and Apple might update the Macs with Santa Rosa in June (probably at WWDC).

3. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Buyers-Guide for portables. We're mid-life cycle, so you should be safe to buy not and not have something come out next tuesday.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Well historically Mac laptops have been of two lines. In the past they were G3 and later G4 iBooks and Powerbooks, now they are Intel Powered MacBooks and MacBook Pros. Will there be a new Mac laptop in 2007?

Do you mean a 3rd line. No, doubt it.

Do you mean a new size in 1 of the existing lines. There are rumors of a 12" MacBook Pro and less likely a 15" MacBook.

Do you mean a sub-compact notebook (still adhering to the nomenclature of the 2 lines). Much speculation. No real information.

Do you mean a revision, as in speed/spec upgrade to the existing lines, which typically happens every 6 - 10 months. They were both updated last in October and November. So most likely this year, yes. Add to that the fact that Santa Rosa, Intel's next generation mobile platform is due in May, and that the Apple OS 10.5 Leopard is expected anytime between now and June, and a good guess would be that Mac laptops will be updated this spring or into the beginning of summer.

As far as the general area. I'm guessing the retail consumer marketplace.

5. mcanadiensfan71 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, is the santa rosa an actual new lap top ex: a new mac book.
    a new platic casing

6. mcanadiensfan71 thread starter macrumors newbie

i mean like a new mac book
    ex: a MACbookExpert
    or somethin like that

7. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

No, here is info on sata rosa.

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Don't expect any changes in the MacBook casing, it was just introduced last may. Santa Rosa refers to the guts, the Intel chipset. The MacBook Pros, some have argued are overdue for a case redesign, since they still occupy the case of the last Powerbooks. However, many feel that this would be minimal, things like the magnetic latch, possibly redistributing ports.

But there always seem to be rumors of a Product (red) Macbook.

9. mcanadiensfan71 thread starter macrumors newbie

so, there isnt going to be something like a new casing
    ex: there was the macbook and then they came out with the macbookPro
    they arent going to make a new laptop like that???
    or are they , if so, when??

10. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

No, the MacBook is a new design. If anything, the MacBook Pro should be re-designed.

11. mcanadiensfan71 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, come time aroung August(my b-day), it would be worth it for me to buy a macbook? or not?

12. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

If you are just going to be using it for chatting, e-mail and occasional gaming, I suggest you wait (at least for Santa Rosa platform and Leopard).

13. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Dude, the Macbook was last year. The Intel switch was last year. They don't redesign typically but every 3-4 years. The MacBook Pro may get a redesign. I don't really know. A 12" would be a MacBook Pro. A subcompact may be some NEW Oh look at that, case. But my bet is that we won't see the laptops change till 2008 or 2009 when there is a very good chance we might see touchscreens.

14. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

How would Santa rosa effect the usage of those programs? (it won't)

15. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

The OP meant if he should buy it on his birthday and those upgrades should become reality by the time his birthday comes. Also, he would save money on Leopard. So why not get more for the same amount of price.

16. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

Bleeding edge always has problems. I'd much rather buy now and have something where 90% of the problems have been sorted out. Any significant upgrade is going to open the door to a new wave of issues.

17. johnmacfan macrumors newbie