New mac leptop need help deciding which one

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TokyoPeace, Jan 6, 2007.

1. TokyoPeace macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2007
    Help! We are Canadians living in Tokyo, moving back to Canada in the spring. We have no computer at the moment and are thinking about making the move to a mac and starting with a laptop. we plan to buy an iMac once settled into a new home.

We will use the mac for digital photos, internet and wordprocessing. There is a chance we will use the mac for in internet based business in the future, but hope to have the iMac by then.

We are trying hard to get the very best value for our money!

It seems like we really don't need the MacPro and we would only opt for that if it the best value for the money.

That said we are left deciding which specifications to select on a MacBook;

a 2GB memory with 200 GB hard-drive
    2GB memory with and 80GB hard-drive

any ideas out there?:confused:

2. 4nr- macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2006
    Göteborg, Sweden
    For wordprocessing, internet browsing and image viewing there is really no need for a large hard drive as far as I know. I would go with 80gb or maybe a little more, but not 200. You can always get an external HD.
    The 2gb memory is a good choice as it really speeds up the macbook.

You're right about the mac pro, it's meant for way more advanced tasks.
  3. acidburn macrumors member

Jan 22, 2006
    agreed on the smaller hd especially if you are going to get an imac later. you might consider a compromise - 120 GB is not bad. but i would not go for the 200 GB hd now as they are slower at the moment.
  4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Dang sorry...I can't help you there. Canadian and in Tokyo? Who dealt your hand man?!

But seriously I am joking. Since you seem to travel I would go with the GB memory with 200 GB hard-drive because I wish I had a larger drive. While the external is great, it makes it hard to travel sometimes when I want to haul all of my music.

Good luck.
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I also found that when I switched, my need for hard drive space went way up, just because I got so much media on my computer... like it became so easy to keep all my songs, photos, and now even copies of TV shows and movies, organized, that I just wanted to. And so I'd tend to go up from what seems like enough hard drive space to you. Although 120 might be fine. I haven't looked at how expensive the 200 is.
  6. devman macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    mkrishnan is right - it is very good advice.

Go for 2GB RAM, 160GB disk. It's the biggest disk you can get at 5400rpm.
  7. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2005
    Manchester, UK
    MacBook, 2GB, and as big a hard disk as you can afford.
  8. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2005
    I say you go for the 80 GB hard drive in your Macbook; so long as you are using it only for what you posted, it should hold you over just fine until you settle into a new house and get your iMac this spring.
  9. ero87 macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
    guys, let's be careful with "advice" like this. all too often i see people asking "Buying decision" questions, and the answer's just "Get the most expensive model!"

I don't mean to personally attack you, but when giving advice you should at least give some reasoning behind your words.
  10. queshy macrumors 68040

Apr 2, 2005
    I would get 120GB. 80 is a little skimpy, especially for a new computer. I'm not sure how much of the 80 is even left to the user out of the box. Once you install all your stuff, you will be left with much less, so you may want to opt for the larger disk. 200 is excessive though. Good luck!
  11. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    2gb mem with 80gb hd because you can upgrade your hdd for cheaper than the apple site
  12. phungy macrumors 68020

Dec 5, 2006
    I would suggest this also.