New Mac Media Center App. in the works?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sweetfeld28, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I found this today browsing on the internet. It sounds like a cool little application. I was mostly interested in seeing how many people have herd of this application, and what their opinions are on it.

As stated on the (http://www.centerstageproject.com/) homepage, this application was thought of, by wanting a program that could be used with the mini, as part of a media center.

Anyway, how many people would buy this kind of an app, or would you use something like this on your computer?

2. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

You don't have to buy it - it's open source! Centerstage is going to be free! I've been following it since I read a link to the original project Mr. Zippy posted a thread on here right after the mini came out. The mockups that were done are all pretty incredible, and I can't wait for a complete app - they seem to have everything I'd want covered. Mind you, I'd be running it on an iMac, not a mini, but...

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I downloaded/used Centerstage last week and I'm not impressed, at ALL. Even though it is in alpha, there is much more work to be done.
    GUI is horrid and very un-Apple. Not very intuitive. Very slow. I don't like the way media is presented either. Video is easily distorted (doesn't keep static ratio).
    It's just an all around bad app right now. If it doesn't get its act together by beta, it will flop.

4. Sweetfeld28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

its cool to here it will be free, but sad to hear it isn't that great so far. I can't say that i didn't expect that though, given that it is an Alpha.

5. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Jeez man, you gotta give it some time. The most current version is 0.1 ALPHA. Anyone remember OS X 10.0? Come on now, be nice, its no where near completion.

6. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Yeah, dude CenterStage doesn't even really have a GUI at the moment - that was just something they threw together for the alpha because people were so eager to play around with something.
    Got to have some patience.

7. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

OK, OK, I will haste. It's just that when someone is toting "Mac Media Center", I have HIGH expectations.

8. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Even when they're saying it's a 0.1 ALPHA?
    Edit: bolding to add emphasis