New Mac Mini Goes After Frustrated Windows Users (but doesn...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 11, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Funny that, who would have thought huh... :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink...

4. macrumors Core

i like that quote...... i might just steal it, and oh so very true too

5. macrumors 68020

srobert

I wonder if he even checked if it worked before downloading the drivers. I wasn't aware that some logitech mouses were not supported by OS X right out of the box.

6. macrumors 68030

munkle

Basically guy tries something new, it isn't the same as what he is used to, so goes back, full stop. :rolleyes:

7. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's hell to deal with the viruses and spyware in Windows but you can really tweak the OS. I miss having the ability to change my start up and performance options just with a few checkboxes and a reboot. I'll admit OS X is sleek and idiot proof but I miss the insane customization.

8. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Interesting article, seems like the PC mind set is what was stopping the reviewer from making more progress. It is like he is trying to compare an Apple with an Avocado and expecting the Apple to be more like the Avocado ( if that is a suitable comparison?) We have a few Mac users at work who are PC switchers and some who have moved up to OSX from OS9 and others who are just PC users who have to do occaisonal tasks on the Mac like stuff in Office. It is mostly the familiarty that slows them down rather than the fact that you can't do it. The biggest issue is for people who dont like change in their lives.

9. macrumors member

Ten days! That really isn't long enough time to get to know the Mac OS. Of course it didn't "feel like home."

10. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

My mom is a frustrated windows user who just ordered :) thats right a new MacMini ! its my first switcher :cool: guy who wrote this article is warped.

11. macrumors 6502

I'm surprised that he claimed about a lack of a good RSS reader on the Mac. I've been saying the same about Windows since I started full time employment developing Windows software over a year ago.

12. macrumors 6502a

csubear

Please see: /Appilcations/Utilties/Terminal.app

The posiblities are endless

13. macrumors 68030

munkle

He obviously hasn't checked out NetNewsWire.

14. macrumors newbie

You know, I don't think he is making an invalid "criticism" of the Mac. I use a mac at work, and two weeks ago I got my very first Powerbook for myself (and it rocks!). His point is that we have a comfort level with the things we are familiar with. I can still work much faster in a windows environment than a Mac environment. I know that will change with time, as I become more adept, and since I am now in a Mac-only world. But for many people, the frustration of learning a new system, even if it is simple, will prevent them from making that jump. Someone who is comfortable with their computers, be them Windows or Mac, is unlikely to change just for the heck of it.

And as to the spyware and virus argument, it is true that Windows is far more susceptable to these problems. But a competent user will have anti-virus software and spyware software installed on their machine. Now obviously this is not a solution to the problem. A better solution would be a secure, stable OS like OS X which doesn't have those problems to begin with. But that being said, those people who claim that they spend all their time fighting viruses and removing spyware... well, most virus scanners run in the background without user intervention. And a good spyware program (spybot, adaware, etc) has scheduling built in to run automatic scans.

The point is this: We all love the mac. I wouldn't trade it for the world. But perhaps we're more adventurous than the average Windows user, we're willing to make that plunge to the OS X side. Others will look at it and say "Why bother? I'm comfortable enough where I am that it's not worth it to switch."

15. macrumors regular

You guys should back off a little bit.

There's always people flaming Windows and Wintel boxes here.

I own both, a Mac and a PC and I love both. They simply work so well together. I use my Mac all day long but when I need music or gaming, I power-up my PC to do this.

Windows isn't bad, it has good things. Mac OSX is great, but it also has some things that are problematic.

16. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I was astonished at his comments about wanting the freeware/shareware that he could get on Windows. I gave up installing Windows shareware on my old PC because getting rid of it again was so much effort if it proved unsatisfactory

I've found shareware/freeware for virtually every small task I've thought about doing on the Mac on versiontracker - with the added benefit that I can generally try running it from the desktop to see if it's worthwhile before it makes its way into my Apps folder and the knowledge that there's very unlikely to be any malware inside it.

I suspect that to get the most out of OS X or the Mini; you have to come to it accepting some things will be different and willing to play with it. I guess most purchasers will have this mindset unlike reviewers told to do so by their editor.

17. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Note: Using checkboxes and a GUI not Terminal. I knew someone would bring Terminal up.

18. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

See [​IMG]

The possibilities are endless.

;) :p

19. macrumors 6502a

meh, there's a ton of people with kinkades and wylands on their walls too; no accounting for taste.

20. macrumors 68030

munkle

My criticism lies in the fact that this was essentially a vapid article. The author goes out to review OSX and comes back saying it's not the same as XP, so I gave up. I would be equally scathing if a Mac writer tried to pass off a similar review of XP as journalism.

21. macrumors 6502a

csubear

;)

I'm on my windows box at work. Not spellcheck in firefox.

22. macrumors Core

or grammar check i can see :p ;)

23. macrumors 68030

munkle

There are apps like ShapeShifter and Tinker Tool available to allow some customisation.

I'm sure there are a lot more apps/themes available for XP (including a surprising number of OSX themes ;)) but I'm not a great fan of customisation so it doesn't really make a difference for me. I'm more interested in what an app will allow me to do ;)

24. macrumors newbie

A valid point. :p

I think though, that he ended up not writing a review of the Mac Mini, but of his experience with it, an experience that I think many Windows users would be interested in hearing. These forums are full of people talking about their experience with the mac, and how they think it "feels" versus Windows.

25. macrumors 6502a

csubear

dang... I look like a moron today ;)

Its finals week at my university...