Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
I set up my wife's new Mac Mini (Duo, 2gigs memory, 120gig HD) and it was acting very strange.

It kept dropping the bluetooth connection, then dropping the airport connection. system profiler would sometimes see the wireless hardware, and other times not see it. It was peculiar.

So I ran the hardware test and got the following error:

4MEM/5/400000000

The odd thing is a ran the test again, and then again, and again, and the test found no errors at all.

So I rebooted, and now the mini works fine.

Any idea as to what to make of this. The mini has been working fine for the past 24 hours.

I know the safe thing would be to take it into Apple, but I don't have a lot of free time.

Any advice or idea what the heck was wrong with it?

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
mad jew said:
I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again. Just make a mental note of this now though. :)

Thanks for your thoughts MJ.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
No problems. Sorry for not being more helpful but I reckon it's probably safer to not play around with the usual troubleshooting techniques considering it's working now. :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Not that I want to disagree with He Who Walks Like Crab, but you might want to keep a very close eye on things and maybe even call Apple just to make sure this is on the mini's "record". Maybe a RAM stick is loose. Maybe a wire. Maybe it's all OK. But... best to get it on record in case the problem rears its head later on.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mad jew said:
That's a good point Dad. Does Apple keep records of our machines though? I guess it can't hurt to let them know. :)
No problem, son. When you've had as many Macs as me, you learn these things. ;)

I brought in a monitor last month, and they had records of every single call I'd made on it (flaky power switch that I kept dealing with for two years until it finally drove me nuts enough to bring it in). They also had records of all calls regarding my PowerMac. So... I do think they keep records based on serial numbers.

duziking

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
bluetooth problems

my bt on the mac mini is also there for 10 min there completly disappearing. have to reboot to get it back. initially all bt kb and mouse connect fine, then the mac says bt hardware doesnt exist. gone. never to return till reboot....

any ideas:eek:

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
My parent's had trouble with their Mac mini, things would appear and disappear.
It turned out it was the motherboard connector was loose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.