New Mac Mini, no keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by zippersweater, Nov 22, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

HI,

I bought a mac mini and I didn't buy a keyboard because theres one I want to order online. Anyway, I turned it on and its asking me to pair a bluetooth keyboard before proceeding. Is there anyway for me to use this computer befopre getting my keyboard? I dont have any external keyboard but I do have a macbook and iphone.

thanks

2. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

There is an application for the Mac called "Type2Phone" that allows it to mimic a Bluetooth keyboard. With this you should be able to sey up your Mac Mini.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. The App description says its only for phones. Not sure why they wouldn't advertise that it could works for computers too if it indeed does. How confident are you that it'll work. (Just cause its 5 bucks)

4. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

I couldn't say. In theory there shouldn't be a problem. Though perhaps you should wait for someone else to chime in.

5. macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Ther isnt a way, you have to plug in an external keyboard to use your macmini, may be a cord one or a bluetooth one.

6. macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Maybe you could borrow a friend's keyboard? Or go buy a cheap one and return it when your "online" keyboard comes. But, I'm curious: if you don't have a keyboard, why bother setting the computer up?

7. macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

8. macrumors regular

If you have a thunderbolt cable or a firewire cable (dependent on which macbook you have) you might be able to start the mini in target disk mode and thus configure it that way. I have not ever tried that however

9. macrumors 6502a

Micky Do

As others have suggested, just plug in any old wired keyboard; a mate's, a cheapie.

The Mac Mini's not fussy. It doesn't have to be a flash bluetooth job, though if there isn't a keyboard plugged in, that's what it will be expecting.