New Mac Mini User, Few Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rtdgoldfish, Mar 10, 2005.

1. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I have been using Mac laptops for the past few years and yesterday bought my first desktop, a 1.42gHz Mac Mini, 512MB RAM, 80gig HD, SuperDrive, AP, BT, wireless keyboard/mouse set. Anyway, just a few questions about some differences in using a Mac desktop vs. iBook. Searched the forums but came up with nothing.

1) How do I make the energy star menu bar thing go away?? It just says no batteries available and I don't want this to be cluttering my menu bar. I looked through the entire System Preferences and cannot find it anywhere.

2) Anyone else ever buy a Apple Wireless Keyboard and get dead batteries in the box?? I had to use my own. Not like its a big deal but after spending all this money, I would have liked them to work. I think I will call Apple tomorrow and ask about this.

3) I also got the DVI to S-video adapter. Is this thing able to use both the outputs that are on it?? I am using the composite now to my TV in the living room but was wondering if I could get the Mini to do dual displays with another TV.

Thanks for the help in advance. BTW, the Mini is a great little machine. Makes me want to get a G5 as well now. Darn you Apple and your kick-a$$ computers!!! I need more money!!!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Try holding down the ⌘ button, clicking on the menu bar icon, and dragging it off the menu bar - it should poof.

Mine worked fine - and your should have. Good idea to call them.

Never tried that (I have the same or similar adapter for my G5). I suppose it might mirror from both outputs, but I'd suspect you'd get signal degradation due to only having half the signal strength per display (as the adapter doesn't amplify).

Good luck with you future expenditures!

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

1) Hold Command and drag the icon out of the menu bar.

3) Nope. One DVI port means one video out.

4. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My (perhaps completely) wrong perception was that rtdgoldfish was asking if he could plug something into both the video out ports on the adapter (it has both S-video and composite outputs, if it's like mine). If this was in fact the question, I'm guessing that there's insufficient signal strength for it to work.

Or is that what you meant?

6. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Yeah, was wondering if both video out ports on the adapter would work. I don't really have any reason to do this.

Then again, with a bunch of splitters, maybe I could make a huge video wall running iTunes visualizations. :cool: