New Mac Mini + WoW?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm considering getting a Mac Mini to hook up to my LCD TV for my wife and casual use.

Does anyone know what this will do in WoW? My wife is a casual WoW player (no AQ40 raids or anything like that) and I haven't been able to find any performance reports for the newer Core Duo models.

Thanks in advance!

2. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Looks like the newer 1.83GHz Mac Mini is identical to the MacBook of the same speed (not the just-released new MacBooks). Can anyone confirm this? I'm sure it would be easier to find benchmarks of a matching MacBook.

Also, anyone have experience with a Mac Mini and a VGA connection? It looks to only have DVI but my TV doesn't support that (only VGA).

Thanks again.

3. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Wow can be played on the original mac mini.. I had the faster model of the original mini and would occasionally play wow on it.. It was not horrible. I had to turn most everything down, but it worked.

I'd bump up the ram to 1 or 1.5 gig. Doublecheck third party ram prices. It won't be a $600 machine in the end.. 80 gig hard drive is pretty small. I paid about $120 for an external drive enclosure and a bare 250 gig hard drive. More than enough to rip all my dvds at a decent enough rate (over 100). I would move all your iLife document folders to the external drive. I might even suggest you get the smaller internal drive and go for a decent external. If it will be hooked to your TV... and you have front row... you could have a nice media center (minus tivo).

You can easily get by with the slower processer. Depending on how much money you want to spend. Wow will work on it.. It is limited to the onboard video. I am not sure how it compares to what is in my old mini..

For the record, I play wow on my 15" MBP and have everything cranked up high...

4. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

works great.. the dvi to vga adapter I believe comes with it.. You can probably find someone who has one they don't use.. I think I am up to about 3 or 4 now...

Peter

5. mleary macrumors regular

I've played WoW on the 1.66Ghz Duo mac mini and it was playable with the resolution and settings turned down but not great. I don't think the faster cpu's will make any difference because when I played wow on this machine it did not max out either core. It is the intel 950 graphics that kills performance, WoW is not very cpu-dependent.