New Mac Mini's with a built in screen coming?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bowzer, Oct 3, 2005.

1. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

Check this out... was browsing the US patents site and found this, posted sept 27th...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

That looks like a stand-alone display. Perhaps the idea is for it to fit around the mini's housing.

3. bowzer thread starter macrumors 6502

bowzer

on a side note... one of the inventors names is jesus... who names their kid that? :p

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It's a very common name in Spanish-speaking countries. Look at all the Mohammeds out there; it's not so unusual.

5. bowzer thread starter macrumors 6502

bowzer

6. Bear macrumors G3

That's the iLamp G4 patent.

If you look at "(22) Division ...", it indicates this was first filed in 2001. This is related to the iLamp G4 and is not a new Mac mini possibility.

Also a Mac mini with a built in display would become an iMac. Imagine that?

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bingo! you said what i didnt need to.

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Take a look at Apple's hardware lineup and let me know where you think there's room for a mac mini with a built in screen anyway. The eMac is basically the same hardware as a mini, except it has a display.. And the iMac is pretty mini, and it has a built in screen.

9. Merf macrumors regular

It looks like a square iMac G4. Yeah weird

Merf

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Anyway, wouldn't it just be easier to restart the iMac G4 production line if you wanted to go that route?

I have to say that I liked that rotating screen concept though - as a freestanding display it would attract buyers.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The square is the black box used to disguise the iMac G4 from being revealed in the patent filing.

The important part was probably the arm, sort of nice to see Apple finally got a patent for it -- but not so nice to see the timing, after the product has been killed.

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ah, the patent system always works that way. Really from Apple's perspective the only important thing is having applied for it so nobody can copy it while they're selling it until the application is granted or declined, and of course even if they're not selling the product right now it still prevents others from copying it, at least as far as the patent system protects anything worthwhile these days.

13. mac-er macrumors 65816

14. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

lol that hilarious....good way to put it..

15. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Funny indeed. I know a few Jesuses (Jesi?) as well as a few Mohommeds. I also know an Isreal.

But to the topic at hand. That looks interesting. I wonder what it is indeed. But yeah. I agree with what has been said earlier. Probably won't do anything with it, just have it incase. A thing that many businesses do. Makes you wonder how many other good ideas they have patents for and haven't put into production.

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

well im glad they made the iMac G4 a round bottom!! perhaps with is were the idea for the mini started, an headless iMac was the minis name before it came out!!

17. Makosuke macrumors 603

A lot, actually, including tablet computers if memory serves. But of course this particular idea did go into production, it was just done with its run by the time the patent was actually granted. I seem to remember some ancient Newton-related patents being granted just recently, as well.

The patent office, she works slow, and that's when she works at all.

18. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

An Apple tablet? I would totally buy one.

19. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Steve Jobs said in a press conference a year or so ago that Apple had developed a tablet, and he was very proud of the work that had been done in it, but Apple had decided not to release it.

20. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Maybe this would replace the eMac :eek:

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, it's a hemispheric dome, but the reality distortion field surrounding it makes it appear like a box on patent filings! :D