Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
Not sure but has anyone seen this?
https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?postid=56846

It looks kinds neat, with the integration of the iPod dial and is that a two button mouse???
Sorry if this has been posted already.
:rolleyes:
Funny the link links to this site, but I can't seem to find the note attached anywhere in the front page (my friend emailed me this link)

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
It's a mockup someone did on the thread about the LoopRumors combined iPod/mouse story, I think. It's not that old.

Wow, maybe we can start yet another 1 vs. 2 Mouse Buttons thread.

(ahem) I think it's Just Terrible that Apple Doesn't Come Out with a 2 Button Mouse. (slips away to watch the argument start)

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
Hehe sorry about that then, its just that my friend email it to me and he didnt tell me where he got it from. He must have dug up the archives or something.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
Originally posted by cubist
It's a mockup someone did on the thread about the LoopRumors combined iPod/mouse story, I think. It's not that old.

Wow, maybe we can start yet another 1 vs. 2 Mouse Buttons thread.

(ahem) I think it's Just Terrible that Apple Doesn't Come Out with a 2 Button Mouse. (slips away to watch the argument start)

hahaha. I always love firestarters. lol. I personally just buy a logitec two-button mouse and quit my complaining;)

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
I think apple should make two categories of mices. One category would be name something like "Beginners Mouse" and this would only have one button, much like the Pro Mouse currently. This should ship with iMacs and eMacs. The second type of mouse they should have should be named the "Pro Mouse" and this should be something similar to the link above, two buttons, touch pad scrolly thingy mac jig, cordless, bluetooth etc (/drool). I don't think that would be too bad an idea would it?

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Originally posted by hui__lim
I think apple should make two categories of mices. One category would be name something like "Beginners Mouse" and this would only have one button, much like the Pro Mouse currently. This should ship with iMacs and eMacs. The second type of mouse they should have should be named the "Pro Mouse" and this should be something similar to the link above, two buttons, touch pad scrolly thingy mac jig, cordless, bluetooth etc (/drool). I don't think that would be too bad an idea would it?
a 'switchers' mouse could be good - basically just your average two button scroll mouse. That would be entirely pointless since you can pick up a crummy USB, 2 button, optical scrollmouse for under £20 - the apple equivalent would be atleast twice the price! Why bother? I hate to say it but M$ make some of the best mice around. I like the pro-mouse, but have you ever noticed how difficult it is to drag an item a long way on a promouse?? i.e. having to pick the mouse up and move it whilst keeping the button pressed!!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Having Apple offer multiple mice has advantages and disadvantages. Chief among the advantages: some people want one type and some want the other, and they shouldn't have to pay Apple for one kind and then throw it away to buy something from a third party if they want the other kind.

Disadvantage: Apple simplicity, training, documentation, etc. would become more complicated if they support both. Maybe the latter is why Apple has left it to third parties to make the multibutton mice for so long.

I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Then there is the little marketing problem of naming them. I wouldn't want my mouse called a "switcher's mouse". People who happen to prefer one button wouldn't want to be labeled "beginners". However, for some reason, people don't seem to mind when they are professionals but don't have the "Pro" version of something, so "Apple Mouse" and "Apple Mouse Pro" would be ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.