New mac - old dilemmas

Discussion in 'iMac' started by majkom, Jan 28, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Hi, my imac is nearing warranty end (in sth about 3 months - iMac 2011) and I consider selling it and buying new one.

After 2012 iMac introduction I was sure this time I will buy sth else cause no fussion drive option in low 21 incher, but that has changed... and now, I do not know what to do:)

So, my question is, is fussion drive good enough to buy imac with fussion or should I just swap iMac for mini/mb air?

I do ordinary stuff like browsing, writing docs, watching youtube, listening to music, very little photo editing... and little gaming (starcraft 2, L4D)... Bit I really want SSD like speeds... so? How fussion works for you? isnt 128 SSD within it too small??

2. thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors 601

talmy

Fusion is a new technology and there are reported problems.

With your light use you can get SSD-like performance by 1)sleeping your Mac rather than shutting it down, and 2)leaving apps running. If you close windows (Cmd-W) rather than the application (Cmd-Q) it will appear to start instantly when you click on its icon. My iMac goes weeks without rebooting and I'll typically have 1-2 dozen apps running at a time without problems (8GB RAM). It's 3 years old now and still fast, and I run some heavy stuff on it -- FCPX, Aperture, Parallels VMs.

Just buy Applecare and keep it another 2 years.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

What exactly you mean by "reported problems"??

5. macrumors 601

talmy

Search threads here about the problems -- "bricked" drives after reformatting attempts, problems adding BootCamp. Also read the Anandtech articles about the Fusion drive for pros and cons.