new mac or external upgrades?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Coca-Cola, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

I have an iMac 400DVse. I have added an external cd-rw, zip disk, 128 megs of ram, and several system upgrades. I love my iMac, but I am at the point of having a crowded HD. 13 gb's and needing more. I am thinking of getting a nice external hd. But.....should I just stop with the upgrades and get a new mac? My desk is getting crowded here. What should I do with the old iMac? How do you move expensive applications to the new mac? Which Mac?:confused:

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I have a 60 gig hard drive that i rescued from a dead computer, so i went out and bought a firewire case for it. (Background - we have an iMac DV+) Cost a hundred bucks for a nice case, but this thing can handle 5.25" drives as well. Anyway, i've never been happier. Since i got it, i partitioned it for music, docs, apps, swap, the only thing on my iMac's internal is X itself, along with libraries (everything else is aliased from other drives - desktop, etc). This way, if the computer ever dies, we can toss it and get another, without having to worry about data recovery. While you'll need a new computer eventually, an external FW drive is something you can take with you, which helps with that "copying expensive programs" problem as well. If you can afford it, go ahead and upgrade, but your computer has a lot of life left in it--

My recommendation: Get an external, a big one, and use it for everything. In the end, i think you'll be happy you did--

:)
    pnw

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well

If you have used a G4 and you see that your G3 is kinda slow, and you want a new CPU, than get one.

Get like a 933MHz G4 tower for around 1250, because it has 2MB L3 cache and stuff.

Turn your old imac into a server/computer for like checking email for guests or somethign.

4. yamadataro macrumors 6502

If you just need more HD room and are OK with other stuff on your iMac, get an external FireWire HD. Or buy an internal one and swap it with your current internal drive. It's always nicer to have a huge internal one and not worry about the power and cable and other stuff of external, if you don't mind moving your files to the newer drive.

These HDs do not cost much these days. So it will end up sooooo much cheaper than buying a new Mac. My first drive has cost me $1000 for 40MB 15 years ago. Now what, it's like $200 for 120GB?!

I'm don't what you use your iMac for, but if you are not doing some heavy Photoshop and CGIs, yours sounds OK. Just think straight about why you need a newer Mac. Don't get into that "I always need a new one!" stuff (in which I've involed myself in the last 15 years :D).

5. Coca-Cola thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks!

Hi- Thank you for helping me make a decision. I am going to buy a new external hardrive, that should set me up pretty nicely.

6. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

I dont want to start a new thread, so here is my need.

I have a single processor G4 400, I want to get one of those G4 upgrades. Could i put a dual processor upgrade in it?, or only a single processor.

and please dont tell me to get a new computer, because I dont have enouogh money. but i need a speed increase

7. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Check our sonnettech.com and powerlogix.com. Both companies produce G4 upgrades for G4s, and they list their system requirements. They seem to range from a several hundred dollars to a grand. In all honesty, it might be better for you to get a 933 for $1200.