new mac owner - several ?'s

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scollie41, Jan 1, 2005.

1. scollie41 macrumors newbie

I've used macs before for work and school, but I am have limited experience with OSX. I've got a few questions, hopefully someone can help.

- Is there a way to sync my Entourage contacts/calander with iCal and Address book so I can put them on my iPod or there a way to go directly from Entourage to iPod?

- I have a PC wired to my router and this is the machine my HP printer is connected to. How I do I get OSX to see the printer? My other PC laptop prints fine over the network.

- My wife and I both have logins on this machine and when we switch using the fast user switching option, she is not required to use her password, but I am. I have tried the changes suggested in Help, but it didn't work. So how do I switch users without passwords?

2. scollie41 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

4. cfd macrumors member

In your Entourage address book, if you select all contacts and drag them to you contacts folder on the iPod, you can bypass Address Book
    If the printer is being shared and you select "Windows Printing" while adding the printer, it should work.
    Do both of the accounts require passwords to login? Which version of the operating system are you using?

5. mian macrumors member

1.This link has some info that should help.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mickey.stevens/tutorials/entouragesync.html

2. Not sure. I've been able to find printers on my home network using the printer setup app in the utilities folder. If you haven't used the printer setup app, it may help.

3. As a test, I set up a new user account without a password. You receive a warning, but if you click ok it will set up the account. When you use fast user switching, it doesn't ask for a password. I wouldn't recommend doing this but it accomplishs what you want.

6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Regarding the printing question, in addition to setting up the printer with windows printing, you may or may not still need to install the drivers. It depends on the specific model.

7. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

go to the apple menu and choose system preferences > accounts. click on each user and delete the password in the password field.

8. scollie41 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that and it worked for her login, but not mine, each time I got an error saying my password was too short.

Thanks for the other links everyone.

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

OS X requires at least one administrator and wants that administrator to have a password (PW). Mostly likely, it set you up as the administrator with a password when you first set up the machine. To eliminate your PW, do this from your account (which I'll call YOU):

System Preferences>Users
    + (add user button: name it SUPER, give the account a PW)
    Security (select this tab)
    check "Allow User to Administer this Computer"
    System Preferences>Quit
    Apple Menu>Log Out YOU ...

Select SUPER
    Enter PW
    System Preferences>Users
    Select YOU
    Erase your PW
    Erase your confirmation
    YES DIALOG: This account has no PW. Are you sure...
    OK DIALOG: Keychain message
    System Preferences>Quit
    Apple Menu>Log Out SUPER..

Select YOU (It will ask for a PW this first time but just press Return)
    System Preferences>Users
    Select SUPER
    - (delete user button)
    Delete User Immediately DIALOG: Delete Uer Message

Now, after the first person signs on, you and your wife can switch without entering a password. Alternately, you can not delete SUPER and uncheck the Admin box under the security tab in your account. This way you will have some security on your machine but will not be inconvenienced.

Hope this helped.

10. Norouzi macrumors 6502

emptyCup's method will work, but it does seem a little complicated. For an easier solution pop in your Panther Install Disk and reboot holding down the "C" key. When you get to the installer screen select the "Installer" menu next to the blue Apple at the top Left of the screen. Select "Reset Password". It will allow you to select a user and reset the password, I believe by default it resets it to no password, or it will ask you for the new password. If it asks you for a new password don't enter anything. Then select to Quit the installer and it will ask you to reboot. Simply click reboot and you now have no password and should be able to fast user switch without entering your password.

11. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Here is a site to help you find any programs you need. www.versiontracker.com Just search for what you want the program to do, and it should return any that do.

12. chinggoy macrumors newbie

2. Not sure. I've been able to find printers on my home network using the printer setup app in the utilities folder. If you haven't used the printer setup app, it may help.

----
    just tried adding my hp845c thru printer set up - windows printing - network neighborhood. but thats as far as i can get. can seem to find my printer.

im using a pb and im connecting wireless to my pc running xp. what can i do?